Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina owner thread cutter issues. >

Bernina owner thread cutter issues.

Bernina owner thread cutter issues.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:47 AM

Default Bernina owner thread cutter issues.

Just want to know if anyone else experiences this same problem and what you think. I have a Bernina 740 and have had the thread cutter not function for one reason or another. I have had more than one of these break. This last time was the worst, I have had this machine for about 6 years or so and the part bent up, I got an error message and had to take it in to get it replaced only to have it happen all over again just a few weeks later. The repair man showed me the bent part and told me I did it, but all I did was push the button. He didn't charge me labor, but I had to buy a whole new part again. Right now as I speak the new part doesn't work. it just doesn't move and I think it just has junk in it. So, I just decided I just don't want one and I won't use it.
Old 02-04-2022, 10:42 AM

I have the modern/computerized 820. My machine is a bit fussy and has earned the name "Cranky Bernie". Bernie is really fussy with threads,I'm its 3rd owner, it has always been well maintained and cleaned and all that. I repaired/replaced the Thread Sensor unit in 2020, and then again a year later in 2021, and then the replacement part failed within about 2 weeks and broke and I had it replaced again (that third time was fully under warranty, no cost for parts or labor).

I'm starting to get a lot of error messages again... Don't want to jinx myself but I really want to get through this project.

Turns out that I really like the thread cutter and I would be disappointed if it didn't work for me.

There are many things I love about this machine when it works. The previous two owners kept with Bernina and are very happy with their replacement choices (a 660 and 720 if I recall). I'm not so tied to the brand loyalty and am considering other options over repairing (again and again).
Old 02-04-2022, 12:23 PM

Iceblossom, I think I have heard so often the 820 is so finicky that lots of folks did trade her in. I had the 570 that kept jamming and now have the 590 which so far has been wonderful. We don't have many choices up here for nearby techs so I pretty much have to pick between Bernina and Viking. The Viking tech is very experienced but the newer Vikings from what I hear are not like the old workhorse Viking D1 that I used to have so I have decided to stay with the Berninas. Also a factor is all the money I have in the accessories, feet, embroidery hoops, etc.

Zyngawf, I haven't had many issues with the thread cutters in either my Bernina or Vikings, but I have to say, I seldom use them. Just a habit I never got into except when embroidering and then the machines just default to cutting. I know that you need to clean the area around the thread cutter frequently and also be very gentle when removing the lint and threads around it. My 590 has a built-in video on have to do that but there are also many online videos. Bernina Jeff has a good one.