Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bernina q 24 >

bernina q 24

bernina q 24

Old 10-16-2017, 04:36 PM

Default bernina q 24

been thinking of getting the bernina q 24 long arm. any pros and cons i should know. i tried it on thursday and it
is very smooth. thank you jo
Old 10-16-2017, 05:16 PM

I test drove one briefly at a quilt show in Manchester New Hampshire this spring and thought it was nice but I would love to rent one for a small quilt project to try before I purchase.

I just got information on a new HQ machine coming out in November. I’m sure quite a difference from a Bernina

http://handiquilter.com/amara
Old 10-16-2017, 07:46 PM

It's amazing to me that you spend that kind of money on the machine and they do not mention that if you want the Pro Stitcher that is another $6000. I always thought that the Gammill Statler Stitcher was crazy at $20-$30,000 but the Amara starts off at $10,000 seems like there is no getting around these prices. JMHO
Old 10-17-2017, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

A couple of years ago I posted a review on another thread about the Bernina Q24. This is just MHO. I quilt on an Innova longarm. Here is my post from 2 years ago.

I had to take my Bernina in for servicing week before last and had an opportunity to check this machine out. These are my views on it
PROS
A very nice machine with a very responsive stitch regulator. I suspect had the tension been set correctly it would also make a beautiful stitch. Was nice from the top but had pokies on the bottom.
The wheels for running on track/carriage system are all metal and two angled wheels run on either side of the track at each location there is contact, as opposed to most setups that have a grooved wheel that runs on the track
The machine moved VERY smoothly and easily.
CONS
The stitch regulator is all electronic with a laser eye and no encoders, while at first this seemed appealing to me, I realized that if any one thing went wrong you would most likely have to replace the entire module (Big bucks!). What would happen if one of those laser lights burnt out?
No rear handles, or at least not on the machine I saw. how would you do pantos? I didn't think to ask until later.
All tension adjustments were touch screen controlled. so also all electronic. Call me old fashioned but I like to be able to see my tension set spring to ensure it is ok and I like to be able to tweek both upper and lower tension. the demo model had bad tension at the time but in their defense they said the machine just came back from a show and they hadn't had a chance to reset it.
The control buttons on the handles did not seem to be responsive. The dealer could not get them to operate correctly.
The threading path was all internal on the machine. Again you can not actually see your tension check spring to ensure it is operating correctly. Now that is the case also with my domestic Bernina but if my tension goes wonky it is only a minor inconvenience to haul the domestic off to the dealer. I can't say that would be the same for the Q20 or Q24. Additionaly is Bernina recommending you lug this monstrosity in for annual servicing as well? Uh no thanks. I would suspect the machine head weighed at least 45 to 50 lbs.
It didn't look like there was any way you could do any kind of self servicing on this machine. Most of us who have LA will eventually learn how to reset our timing, adjust needle bar height or replace tension set springs or any other number of simple mechanical adjustments the Q20 and Q24 appears to be all electronic or encased, so even minor issues means hauling this huge machine head back to the dealer.
The hopping foot seemed awfully skinny to me. Can't imagine trying to do ruler or template work with it. So I suspect like all Berninas you have to buy multiple feet so if you want to do ruler work, different foot that you must change out. I didn't think to ask about that until I left.

All in all while it is a beautiful machine and operated as you would expect a Bernina to operate, I feel there is way too much high tech electronics that can go wrong with it and put you out of commission for extended periods if one little tiny thing goes wrong. So definitely not the machine to get if you plan on quilting for others. For your own use it is a very nice machine that also carries a very nice price tag.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:56 AM

thanks every one for you opinions. i have taken them seriously. i am also looking at baby lock arm long and unique 21 or crown jewel. thank you
Old 10-18-2017, 06:56 AM

I have the Q20 in a table - I've only had it a couple months but so far I love this machine. It's really easy to thread and use, it sews beautiful stitches, and I've so far had absolutely no trouble with it at all. I also like that it takes standard-sized sewing needles - I have not had any issues with bearding. And M-class bobbins are amazing!

However, I'm not sure I'd have bought the Q24 if I'd had space for a frame! I think I prefer a LA on a frame to regulate the stitches based on the machine's movement, not based on the laser eyes that the Bernina uses.

For a sit-down quilter, I was (and still am) 100% convinced that the Q20 is hands-down the best and absolutely unbeatable. (That's why I bought it, after all!) But for a LA on a frame, I think I would lean towards something like a Babylock or perhaps a Gammill. Those are the two I seem to like best when I get to play with machines on frames at expos. But I haven't thoroughly researched either - a frame is simply not an option for me at this time so I haven't really devoted a lot of time into researching them. I just play with them when I get a chance!

Definitely test-drive as many as you can. I test-drove every single sit-down quilter I could get my hands on for two years before I bought the Q20, so I know for certain I bought the machine I really wanted. And I'm very happy with it.