Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina recommendations? >

Bernina recommendations?

Bernina recommendations?

Old 08-23-2010, 07:33 PM

I got my first Bernina (used) a 440QE in June of last year and fell in love. Upgraded to a 730E in March of this year and still love Bernina. They have also just come out with what I call a beginner or travel machine line called the 3 Series. You might be able to find a 330 demo model. I think that the one you have found would be a great place to start! Good luck.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:03 PM

I have a 630 that I bought used about 3 years ago. Love my machine!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:00 PM

I purchased a Bernina 930 new in 1983 & still have it. It's a workhorse. The 903 will chunk thru a couple layers of thick leather with no problems. I actually used it so much making jeans & other heavy fabric items I wore the feed dogs down, LOL. I believe it was the last all metal machine Bernina made. I also have the Bernina Artista 200E sewing/embroidery combo machine. Bought it in 2004 & I use it hard too. What ever model you choose think about how you will use it. If it's for quilting then look for one with a larger "harp area" if you plan on doing your own quilting. A larger harp area will give you more room to stuff all that fabric thickness thru. Bernina is a great machine & sews beautifully. As they saying goes "Nothing sews like a Bernina".
Old 08-24-2010, 09:37 AM

I have the Bernina 1230 which is an all metal one also. I paid $600 for mine in 1996 (it is a 1990 model). I would sell my children before I sold my machine. I dearly love it. It was used when I got it but I knew I wanted a Bernina. Haven't regretted it for one second. It is a little tricky with machine quilting because the opening is rather small for this task, but it is do-able. Just have to stuff a little more. I love mine.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:43 AM

You can't go wrong with a Bernina - I have the 155 and love it. Bought it in 2002 and have only had regular maintenance done to keep her happy - no problems to date and she sews beautifully, all the time.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:11 AM

I have a Bernina 801 that I love. It is one of the "vintage" models and the folks at my LQS fawned on it when I brought it in for service.

After spending the weekend trying to teach my son to sew using my 90's Singer, I'm ready to donate the Singer instead of keep it as a backup.

Cheers, K
Old 10-31-2010, 09:14 AM

I have had berninas since 1991. It is the most reliable machine I have ever seen. Mine is all metal and I can't get rid of it. I got a Bernina Aurora QE 440 and had planned to donate the old one, but just couldn't part with it. I have lots of feet, and discovered the other day that they do not fit the new Bernina. I am now in the process of uploading a question on the board to see if anyone knows of an adapter so I can use the old bernina feet on the new bernina. You will never regret getting the one you saw. The price is great-do it fast!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 11:56 AM

I would grab the 1630.......fantastic price. I have heard that the 1530 and the 1630 are hard to find because they have d/c them and have more metal inside than the new machines. I wish I hadn't sold my 1530 but I traded it in when I bought my Aurora QE.

kwiltnutt