Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina >

Bernina

Bernina

Old 01-27-2014, 08:20 PM

Default Bernina

I am considering purchasing a Bernina 750QE. Does anyone have any experience with this machine? I am interested in hearing the pros and cons.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:53 PM
Power Poster

I don't have one but heard they have a larger bobbin that holds more thread. I thought about upgrading but the Bernina machines I have now let me interchange the feet and bobbins.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:59 AM

I just bought one with the embroidery unit. Sorry to say it is still in the box awaiting my new studio to be set up. I am thrilled with the purchase but keep in mind that the machine is very heavy and will not fit most sewing tables. It is too tall for the tops to close on them- if that is an issue for you. Also, the machine is wider and heavier than many so will need a heavy duty lift. The screen is smaller than that on the 780 and there are a few fewer capabilities. If you go to classes or retreats, you will need an smaller machine as well. The new bobbin design looks wonderful. All said- it is the machine for me. I cannot wait to get going on this little beauty, my creative juices are all ready.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:02 AM

Can't help. I have the 440 QE and a new 710.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:04 AM

Ohhhhh, I would love to have one of those. I really like the Bernina machines. I don't have one of the new models, but my old Artista 180 is a jewel. It does beautiful work. Their prices are more than I can stand since I retired.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I don't have one but heard they have a larger bobbin that holds more thread. I thought about upgrading but the Bernina machines I have now let me interchange the feet and bobbins.
Me too !! I can interchangeable everything with my two older Bernina. I love both of them !!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:26 AM

I have the 750 and I love it!!!! I went through some awful times to get to this point though. I originally bought a machine at the nearest Bernina shop, they also had the best price. I had to wait 3 1/2 months to get it and when it came in the stitch was awful. The shop sent it back without even trying to fix it. 2 weeks later the next one came in, the stitch was the same, crooked straight stitch, terrible tension for the deco stitches. The shop at that point said I was too picky!! I took the machine home to really try it out and even made stitch samples at different tension setting etc.... I made an appt. for the tech to look at it because I was not happy. Instead of having the tech look at the machine, the sales lady decided she could adjust it for me!!! NOT!! I could see that I wasn't getting anywhere with that shop (no one there sewed, they only cared about embroidery). My credit card co. assured me that I had a good case for a refund and I ended up returning the machine for a refund. At that point I started over and looked again at other brands but I really still wanted the 750, and felt sure that it had the potential to be a great machine. I had to go 3 hours away to find a shop that admitted that there was a problem with the machines and told me that there was a "fix" coming from Bernina. I waited another month and a half for that shop to get the new parts. I said all that to stress how important it is to buy from a shop that will support you, and sometimes it can be hard to know that. They are all sweet as pie to try to get your business. Do everything possible to find out about the dealer before you buy. I will end the way I started, I LOVE my 750, it is the quietest, smoothest, sturdiest, most beautiful machine I have ever sewn on! It is huge, you will have to consider the table you will use with it. All the machines now have the new parts so you shouldn't have the issue I did.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:09 PM

I have the Bernina Artista 180 and even though I wish I could upgrade I don't feel I've used mine enough to say I've gotten my monies worth so far...but I'm working on it! I also have the embroidery program to do my own digitizing but I need to make time to get working with it. has anyone here got it and have you done any digitizing? I've done one scrappy quilt using the embroidery module and it came out fine, but this was just a 'test' type...not anything special.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:09 PM

I have the new 830 and really like it -- no regrets about that purchase at all. I only had to buy new bobbins -- all the old feet can be used on this machine. My dealer "stitches out" each machine he sells. He makes sure that all stitches sew properly and that there are no problems with the machine before he lets it go out the door. Some of these machines are fussy about multi-tasking. Mine only likes to perform on function at a time -- don't try to thread it and open the bobbin case at the same time. Let it complete one task before starting the next one.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:52 AM

Make sure you have a great dealer, its as important as the machine is. I can't say negative or positive about Berninas. First, because ALL machines have lovers and haters as do most things in life. I didn't even consider a Bernina when I bought my Vikings because of the dealer in our area. I don't care for their customer service when I've shopped for fabric so I'd never want to have to deal with them for something as expensive as a machine. I only go there when I've searched every place else and can't find what I want. Also, try out the machine and check the warranties and what you have to do to get it fixed. I take mine to my dealer and the repair person is on site and is great. See if there are classes if you need them. Will they answer questions that may come up after the sale, no matter how experienced with machines they have thier off days and do wonky things and its nice to call and get help if needed. Good luck. I love all of my Vikings. I've used Brothers and they sew nice. Both machines have (and don't have) features that I'd love to be on mine but the ones mine does have are more important to the ones it doesn't have. We all want different things from our machines.