Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Beginning Quilting Magazine

Best Beginning Quilting Magazine

Hello Everyone, I am very new to the board and I am working on my second quilt. I notice that there are a lot of quilting magazines available, but I would like to subscribe to one that is for beginners. Does anyone know of one that starts out really basic? I am still trying to get the basics down such as cutting and piecing. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I recently bought book one of the Quilter's Academy and will work on it after I finish up my present quilt. Thanks, Michelle

Try your local library, both for books on quilting that will allow you to get started and to look at periodicals you might wish to purchase or subscribe to. It's an easy, free way to figure out what suits your needs best.

Quilting Quickly and Fons & Porter Love of Quilting are the two that I really like. However, check them out and buy one on the newstand before you buy a subscription so that you can see if they fit your needs. In the magazines, you get access to many online resources using a code from the magazines. I have only been quilting for 3 years and they have been very helpful. The other place is the Missouri Star Quilt website with great tutorial videos that have helped me a lot.
    Busy in Ohio

Power Poster
    The Missouri Star Quilt co. Youtube videos are easy to follow. The patterns are also printed into her Quilting Quickly magazine if you prefer a written copy I believe.

I agree with the others who have said to check out magazines from the library, or buy a single copy, before subscribing. One magazine that I have loved from the time I started quilting is Quilters Newsletter Magazine, but it is not a good choice if you want lots of patterns or instruction. I do not care for Fons and Porter, but there are many who like it. I do like McCalls, but my favorites are QNM and the AQS magazine.

When I began quilting several years ago, I got a lot of books from the library to learn the basics and then went on to more challenging projects. Last year I pieced the blocks for Sylvia's Bridal Sampler and learned so much more from doing those. Still have to finish putting the top together but other projects needed preference. Each time I go to the library or a different branch I check out the quilting section. I never know, they might have purchased another book of interest to me. LOL

You could also check the website for a magazine, such as Fons & Porter or McCall's Quilting. They show the quilts in each issue and even have some free patterns and tips on their websites.
    Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine

I like McCall's Quick Quilts, buy one and see if you like it. It is a favorite of mine.
    Pat M.

Quote Originally Posted by patsynel View Post
    I like McCall's Quick Quilts, buy one and see if you like it. It is a favorite of mine.
    Mine too... it's the only magazine I still subscribe too. I love quick projects.

Blog Entries
    Quilty is my new favorite magazine
    P.Jaco
    OKC, OK
    "Trust your experience"

I think which magazine is best really depends on what you plan to use the magazine for and what your quilting aesthetic is. I would not limit yourself to "easy quilting" or beginner magazines (unless you truly plan to use the patterns). You can find in depth descriptions of technique in a lot of places, I think the strength of magazines lies in keeping you up to date in trends & fabrics (for inspiration), introducing techniques so you can push your skills, and then learning about the larger quilting community (both current and historical).

For full disclosure, I lrarely use a whole pattern, but I draw a lot of inspiration from quilts I see in magazines. My favorites are Quilter's Newsletter, Quiltmania, and American Patchwork & Quilting. I really like applique, and I use and adapt the applique patterns from both APQ and Quiltmania frequently. I am a younger quilter, and find that I don't always love the fabric choices in Quilter's Newsletter patterns, but always find the articles well-written and researched. I have learned a lot about quilting history and the quilting community from that magazine. I think APQ is definitely beginner friendly (patterns are well-explained and user friendly). Quiltmania patterns are not beginner friendly (or even intermediate friendly), but it is the most amazing magazine for inspiration-- if you like their aesthetic.

I recently bought a copy of Quilty Magazine that another poster mentioned(think it is published by Fons & Porter), and if you are interested in modern quilting, I recommend it too. It is a beautiful magazine with a young, fresh feel. I may ask for a subscription at Christmas. I would describe it as beginner friendly.

I am also new to quilting - I researched the internet and when there was a reference to a book that interest me; I requested that book from the library.

I am currently reading the following books from the library:
    The Quilting Bible and Quilt with Confidence
    I purchased First Time Quiltmaking and it has been a daily resource for me as a beginner.

Hope this helps.
    bjsmith57

Blog Entries
    If you will contact me I think I have a duplicate copy of one the Quick Quilts Magazines. I would be glad to send it to you, so you can see if you like it. It is my favorite quilting magazine, although I have to say I love the tips page in the Fon's & Porter Love of Quilting Mag.
    Send me a PM with your mailing info, if you would like to have this magazine. Vonda
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    The Missouri Star Quilt co. Youtube videos are easy to follow. The patterns are also printed into her Quilting Quickly magazine if you prefer a written copy I believe.
    I so agree!!!!!!!!

The Quilter's Academy books are very good, but I find them to be overly intimidating for the beginning quilter. "Freshman Year" made me so anxious about the scant 1/4" seam that I almost quit before I made my first quilt. Now I refer back to the first three volumes (Frosh, Soph, Junior) only when I'm trying something new and want their ideas.

Also beware that the Quilter's Academy books push all kinds of quilting accessories, most of which are not necessary. I keep reminding myself that Harriet owns a quilt shop and makes a lot of money from selling these things.

I am fortunate to have Barnes & Noble nearby. I plan on a trip just to view the different magazines while drinking some coffee.

Unfortunately my library doesn't carry many quilt magazines. However they are now instituting e-magazines that are on Zinio and can be viewed on my home computer for free. I figure if enough quilters request quilting magazines maybe there will be more available in the future. I have to learn my new laptop first though.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

McCalls Quick Quilts is my favorite too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by asimplelife View Post
    Mine too... it's the only magazine I still subscribe too. I love quick projects.

Blog Entries
    Quilting Quickly ..... love,love,love it. Jenny and her girls are the best to show you how.

Quote Originally Posted by pjaco View Post
    Quilty is my new favorite magazine
    Crafty's online
    free classes helped me as well.

I don't subscribe to any quilt magazines anymore, either. I drop by my library and spend 30 minutes reading the newest issue. If there is a pattern I really want to make (Which really never happens) I can either wait until the next issue comes out and check out the previous issue, or purchase the issue at the grocery store. My local library also has digital issues of the magazine subscriptions, so I can borrow it , online.

I like Quilty also and Quilters World. I would suggest you take a beginners quilt class at a local quilt shop. you learn the basics to get you started right. then you can customize to your particle way of quilting. also keep reading QB. these quilters are wonderful wonderful helpers to any newbie and/or established quilter.
    😊 wilburness 😊

You don't really need a magazine...there are thousands of free patterns on the internet and man of them are for beginners. Please take the time to view the wonderful tutorials from Missouri Star Quilt Company and you will get great demonstrations of quilts for beginners. You can write down the particulars as Jenny goes along and you don't really need a printed pattern, and you can review the videos as many times as you wish.

Another fan of Quilty, if you like a contemporary style. I don't subscribe, but just pick it up when I see something I think that I would like to make.

No one has mentioned Quiltmaker. Very good instructions with each pattern plus a bonus in every issue that reviews basic sewing techniques for quilters. Bonnie Hunter has a block every month for using up scraps. I don't subscribe but pick it up whenever I find it.

All great ideas. Another idea I have used since there are so many magazines on the market is to skim through them at local fabric shop or bookstore and if I find at least three patterns I can't live without I will buy it. Also there is so much free information out there on the internet with great projects as well as quilting instructions. Never a dull quilting day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast