Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Best Double Wedding Ring templates?

mem

Best Double Wedding Ring templates?

I want to make a scrappy Double Wedding Ring quilt and would like to use acrylic templates. I love Creative Grids rulers/templates and would purchase their set, but it lacks separate pieces for the A and B units.

In pictures of some DWRs, the rings appear to be some odd shape other than roundůsome look almost rectangular and others have weird bulges.

Any experience with a template set that produces round rings and has all the pieces that would make construction pleasant rather than frustrating?

Thanks,
    Margaret

When I bought my DWR template set, I had the same concerns as you, and I bought the set by Sharlene Jorgenson. I haven't used them yet. I've never been crazy about DWRings that are squares with rounded corners instead of perfectly round.

Gay
    Blog Entries
    I don't have them yet, but am very keen to get Shar Jorgensons' templates. Scroll down for videos of instructions.

https://qheartland.com/products/doub...t-template-set

Yes, some quilts have rings more like 'rounded squares' .

I purchased the Marti Michell templates and have been very happy with the directions and the round rings. I too had concern about squarish rings.

I purchased Shar Jorgensen's set also.

I like the creative grids better than Martelli

Judith L
    Bernina 200/730; Singer 221; Singer 401a; Singer 99K; Bernina 880

I have the DWR templates of Shar Jorgenson and have made one quilt with them. I loved do this quilt. I cut out all of the pieces using the templates and had them in a pizza box. When I had a few minutes I would go and sew a ring.
    I hope to make a scrappy DWR sometime. Good luck on your adventure.

Marti Michell makes awesome templates!
    https://www.frommarti.com/dwr.shtml
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mem View Post
    I want to make a scrappy Double Wedding Ring quilt and would like to use acrylic templates. I love Creative Grids rulers/templates and would purchase their set, but it lacks separate pieces for the A and B units.

In pictures of some DWRs, the rings appear to be some odd shape other than roundůsome look almost rectangular and others have weird bulges.

Any experience with a template set that produces round rings and has all the pieces that would make construction pleasant rather than frustrating?

Thanks,
    Margaret
    I bought Rings that Bind pattern book by Cheryl phillips along with her hard plastic template. Got it off kay woods web site. makes it perfectly round and so worth the money.

I have only made one DWR quilt and I used Eleanor Burns' method of sewing the marked interfacing to a row of fabric strips. You cut them with a 1/8" allowance; turn them inside out, press them and then top stitch them down to your backing. I know this isn't the "real" way to do DWR, however, this worked for me. I did a sample quilt in the 1970s with a DWR square. It was the only one that I didn't finish. So this works for me.Name:  DWR.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  18.9 KB

Blog Entries
    The accuquilt die makes a round pattern. Here is the free pattern:
    https://www.accuquilt.com/go-double-...r-pattern.html