Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Flannel >

Best Flannel

Best Flannel

Old 06-26-2021, 08:28 PM

Question Best Flannel

Please weigh in on a good source to buy flannel. Needing to purchase a good flannel for a design (roll). I have no wall space so will make a roll up as my design wall to hang. I will need a wide back size as it will be wider than flannel comes on a regular bolt and would like it to be sturdy to 'stand alone'. Any favourites?
Old 06-27-2021, 04:45 AM

Not sure as to what you mean by "stand alone" but I read that as you do not want to have to add something for stability. Lots of folks use a flannel backed table cloth. You can get those in large sizes - 60x120 - or maybe even larger.. Also, do not know if you have something equivalent to our Joanns, but we can actually purchase that wide vinyl table cloth material by the yard. I myself use a simple large piece of Warm and Natural batting but I have it just tacked to the wall and I do not take it down or roll it. . It might work for you if you added a small pocket top and bottom and inserted a dowel or thin strip of wood - that would make it easy to roll. They also sell actual pop up portable design walls but those are pricey (imho). Some of my friends use 2 large sheets of Styrofoam covered in flannel and hinged in the middle. While it is a great solution if you have room for it. it is way too big for my space. Good luck - hope this is the type of info you are looking for
Old 06-27-2021, 05:11 AM

I recently bought a stand alone roll of flannel from QIAD for just this purpose. It was on sale for $20. Check them out and see what they have.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

Fabric dot com has 108” wide flannels. I used white for my design walls. Worked great.
Old 06-28-2021, 02:30 AM

I have purchased a 60 x 72 flannel design wall made by fons and porter. It has flannel on the front and plastic on the back, just like the flannel backed tableclothes. The great features are the 2" grid blocks and 45 degree marks and metal grommets at the top to hang on the wall. I use command strips to hand mine easily and take down quickly. You can find them on amazon or joanns and other quilting sites.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:57 AM

Probably not the best time of year to shop for a flannel flat bed sheet, but I have a chunk of one that I use as a design wall. I just made a pocket in the top so it can be hung on a rod when in use.
Old 06-28-2021, 04:14 PM

I’m lucky to have a wall in my sewing room which I can use. I covered 2 styrofoam 4x8 sheets with a white flat flannel sheet. Husband helped me pull it tight & we taped it securely on the back with duct tape. My room is in the basement & we’ve never finished the ceiling so the styrofoam extends into the ceiling & holds it in place. Works for me.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:04 PM

Some time ago I purchased a huge chunk of flannel from QIAD for a design board. I had planned on mounting it on foam board (available at home improvement stores). After thinking about it for a while with little space to maneuver in my sewing room I nixed the idea. A while back I don't remember who it was but it was a well-known quilter who had put flannel on a roll-up shade. I'm going to head to the home improvement store and purchase the largest roll-up shade I can get, attach flannel with some double-sided tape and mount it over my closet door so I still have wall space for organizing other things. What other things you might ask? I came across a site where someone had used rain gutters in different lengths to the wall for thread, books, washi tape, rolls of ribbon and anything else you could think of. Only other things you need for the gutters are end caps and anchor to the wall.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:13 PM

Oh, a sheet might be a good idea, thanks. I have NO wall space to put up anything so I plan to mount roller blind hardware to the top of my double door frame and fix the piece of flannel to the roll so it can go up and down as I need it, taking up No real estate. It will need to be just the flannel fabric so I want one that is sturdy and will hold up. I'll need a large piece, perhaps backing size as I'd rather not deal with seams. Flannel fabrics are not created equal, have seen something called '2-ply', but not sure what that means. Have also seen some that you can look through. I have little shopping nearby so this will be an online purchase. Any manufacturer/company recommendations...?
Old 06-29-2021, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by DrosieD View Post
Some time ago I purchased a huge chunk of flannel from QIAD for a design board. I had planned on mounting it on foam board (available at home improvement stores). After thinking about it for a while with little space to maneuver in my sewing room I nixed the idea. A while back I don't remember who it was but it was a well-known quilter who had put flannel on a roll-up shade. I'm going to head to the home improvement store and purchase the largest roll-up shade I can get, attach flannel with some double-sided tape and mount it over my closet door so I still have wall space for organizing other things. What other things you might ask? I came across a site where someone had used rain gutters in different lengths to the wall for thread, books, washi tape, rolls of ribbon and anything else you could think of. Only other things you need for the gutters are end caps and anchor to the wall.
Yes, the roller blind idea is what I saw and will fit my needs. Mine will quite large, over full double doors so am a little concerned how big the roll will be all rolled up. I saw the idea on 'Sew At Home Mummy'. Thanks, DrosieD