Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Hand Quilting Thread >

Best Hand Quilting Thread

Best Hand Quilting Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:47 PM

I see a few ladies like to use DMC brand. What kind of DMC do you use for what kind of sewing. I didn't know DMC made anything except embroidery, cross stitch floss, perle cotton, that type of threads. Does DMC make regular sewing threads? If you use DMC, what specifically are you using and what are you using it for? I'm currently using C&C glace hand sewing thread for my hexagon hand stitched quilt top. It seems to be strong and except for a very occasional kink or knot, I've hardly ever had a problem with it breaking or tangling. Now, I want to start an applique quilt top and I'm wondering what kind of thread I should use. The shop I've been going to suggests Mettler, which is what I'm using but they only carry Mettler and one or two other brands as far as I remember. I'm just wondering if there is a better thread. I've read where some people use silk, is that a personnal preference or is it better. I've read posts here on the QB that silk thread doens't hold up and doesn't knot as well. A few people have said that their knots don't hold???? I'm wondering about that. I'm one of those told time gals who thinks if I don't 'nail' something is place and then back that up with a screw..........it's going to fall apart. LOLOL...I would hate to work so hard on a hand stitched project only to have it fall apart soon after I've completed it. I have it in my mind that if I use good quality supplies, it's my technique that will need alot of work and no so much the mateials I used. I'm sooo new at this and I just want to do a good job......Sounds like a little OCD, doesn't it? I swear I'm not, well not that I've ever been diagnosed, LOL.... Thanks to all of you ladies/gentlemen (I keep forgetting there are alot of men who partake in sewing and quilting these days) for your answers to my questions. You're been a wealth of knowledge that I cannot find here in my own area. I really need an experienced quilting buddy in my area.
Thanks again......Babs