Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best machine for quilting... around $1000 >

Best machine for quilting... around $1000

Best machine for quilting... around $1000

Old 08-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

I use my treadle Singer because it will sew through anything! I've used it on blue jeans, leather, tent fabric, upholstery fabric, plastic screen....you name it, I've sewn it. Since it is mechanical and powered by me there is not much that can go wrong with it.
I am sure there are newer machines that will take a beating and keep ongoing but this is one I inherited so it didn't cost me anything. I tried my new fangled, expensive computerized Bernina machine on a blue jean welt and the fabric pulled the needle right out of the needle holder. That was enough for me to switch to my old faithful before I damaged my Bernina.
The best advice I can give you is to take a piece of the jean fabrics into a sewing machine shop and see how the machines do. As I said, if she is sewing regular sewing fabric and is just looking for a machine to handle the bulk of quilting a big quilt, you want a machine with the largest harp size you can find. The harp size refers to the distance between the needle the motor side of the machine. The larger the size, the easier it is to stuff a quilt through.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:32 PM

How about a surpise shopping trip for the day and let her pick out the machine herself. Line up a sitter and have all the shops mapped out and just let her play at each shop. I would have loved that when our boys were small!

BTW, I have an Elna and it sews thru leather! Its quite a workhorse
Old 08-13-2012, 06:56 PM

I agree with letting her pick out her own machine. How about making her a hand made Gift Certificate for $1000 with a note on it to go shopping for the sewing machine of her choice. If my husband bought me a machine without my knowledge, I would probably be highly disappointed as it may have some options on it that I don't care to have and it may be missing some other things that are essential to me. My priorities are Needle Up/Needle down, needle threader, and the needle position button that moves the needle from side to side to the position I want it in. As far as stitches, I usualy only do piecing so I really onl need straight stitch and zigzag. All those extra stitches just make the machien cost more and I don't use them. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:02 PM

I sew with a Janome 6600 and absolutely love it. It certainly can handle anything I put under the needle, including my finger! I found a great used one at a dealer for $1000
Old 08-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Power Poster

If it is for thicker quilts I would look at a vintage Singer 201. It has a nice big opening and can stitch through thick stuff.

For a newer machine I would look at the Janome 6500 or 6600. My husband got it for me as a surprise for one of my birthdays and I love it. He made sure the dealer would take it back if I did not like it.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
I sew with a Janome 6600 and absolutely love it. It certainly can handle anything I put under the needle, including my finger! I found a great used one at a dealer for $1000
Ditto here - though not the finger! Yeowch! If you call around to various dealers in your area, you might be able to find one for around $1000, about half off MCRP. Wonderful machine.

However, please consider which dealers you have in your area! That can make a big difference when it comes time to service the machine. For example, we have lots of local Bernina dealers, some Viking, some Janome, but no Juki within about a four hour drive, so I wouldn't personally purchase a Juki.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:05 AM

I agree with the others or buy or a higher end used machine
Old 08-14-2012, 02:27 AM

I swear that my Singer 66 can go through anything.. I think it is indestrucable. The price won't put a dent in your wallet, either..
Old 08-14-2012, 02:41 AM

My DH almost bought me a new machine a number of years ago. I'm so glad he didn't. The one he was going to purchase was LOTS more $$ than I would have spent and did lots more things than I wanted. I ended up buying a Viking Platinum for about $1200 at the time. So far the only thing it hasn't handled was repairing the binding/welting on a boat canvas. I've hemmed jeans and sewn sheer curtains with it. I don't machine quilt my quilts but it does all of my piecing with no problem. I agree with the others suggesting taking your wife for a shopping trip. Let her pick out the machine of her choice. And she may want to wait for a while to see what type of quilting she evolves into liking best.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:33 AM

http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...e-reviews.html This has some reviews on it that may help.

I bought, 7 years ago, an Elna 7200 for £900/$1400 and although it has been, and still is a fabulous machine, I would never buy a modern one again. I prefer the stability, durability and dependability of the older machines. Although your wife's first quilt was made from Jeans/Denim I doubt that she will be making heaps more so what you need to do is to go for a good all-rounder machine for quilting.

All makes of machines up to the late 70's were manufactured to a very high standard, were made from metal with a minimum of plastic bits n pieces. This link has loads of opinions! http://quilting.about.com/od/essenti...g_machines.htm

I did a quick search for you and found this company "Allbrands.com" and spotted what looks like a fantastic buy, this Refurbished commercial grade Singer http://www.allbrands.com/categories/...rade-freearm-s for only $299!!!!!!!!!!! When you read the spec. it looks as tho' it would sew through anything especially with that extra powered motor.

Do let us know what you decide on.