Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Needle for Smallest Hole >

Best Needle for Smallest Hole

Best Needle for Smallest Hole

Old 02-07-2020, 08:03 AM

Default Best Needle for Smallest Hole

Hi everyone! Happy winter! I’m making a baby quilt for my brand new grand daughter and I’m using flannel, alternating 9 patch blocks with a daisy where each petal and center is appliqued so there’s going to be a lot of visible stitching. On my practice daisy block, I noticed that the needle is leaving a visible hole. I’ve not encountered this before when appliqueing but I’ve never appliqued with flannel before either. Maybe this will go away after washing and handling the quilt but I’d rather not see it at all. What size needle will make the smallest hole?
Old 02-07-2020, 10:24 AM

This is machine or hand applique? What size/type needle are you currently using?

Have to admit that I am not my best with flannel, I don't sew with it often as I have just too many pets...

Old 02-07-2020, 10:37 AM

I'm assuming that since you're concerned with needle size, this means you are machine appliqueing? Are you also using fusible?

The problem with changing your needle is that for best results, you really need to match the needle size to the thread size. What kind and size of thread are you using?

I agree, the holes will close up with washing. If you don't want to see them as you're sewing, I've found that steaming the holes helps. So does spritzing lightly with water and kind of massaging the fabric. Make sure your fabrics are colorfast first (hopefully you've already tested for colorfastness before sewing).
Old 02-07-2020, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
This is machine or hand applique? What size/type needle are you currently using?

Have to admit that I am not my best with flannel, I don't sew with it often as I have just too many pets...
It’s a long story but one day all my needles became confused (not me, just them) but I think I’m using a universal 80/11. And it’s machine applique.

Is flannel bad for pets or pets bad for flannel?
Old 02-07-2020, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I'm assuming that since you're concerned with needle size, this means you are machine appliqueing? Are you also using fusible?

The problem with changing your needle is that for best results, you really need to match the needle size to the thread size. What kind and size of thread are you using?

I agree, the holes will close up with washing. If you don't want to see them as you're sewing, I've found that steaming the holes helps. So does spritzing lightly with water and kind of massaging the fabric. Make sure your fabrics are colorfast first (hopefully you've already tested for colorfastness before sewing).
I don't pay much attention to thread but I think I'm using regular Coats and Clarks white thread. And I am using fusible lite with the the center cut out and just a rim around the design so the applique isn't stiff. The fabric is definitely colorfast.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:31 PM

It's the pet hair that prevents me from using more flannel! The pale pets shed on the dark stuff and the dark pets shed on the light stuff and all stuff is covered with hair.

I prefer to piece with a 10 myself but will also use 12s, then when I do my quilting on my domestic I go up to a 14 so I buy the mixed three pack needle sets most times. It might seem counter-intuitive, but you might actually try a larger needle first before going smaller, just something the way flannel works for me some times, depends on the weave and the amount of fuzz but that's been more with making clothing and jammies and not quilts.

If you do have a different lighter weight of thread to try on the top that might make a difference too.