Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
THE BEST PART >

THE BEST PART

THE BEST PART

Old 03-26-2008, 05:24 PM

:-) :-) yup---that is my best part, next to laying out the cut pieces on
the wall to see how it will turn out :!: yoya
Old 03-27-2008, 01:52 AM

Designing the pattern, and getting that first block done to see the design.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:27 PM

The best thing is having a completed project, but I have found that doing some work by hand (i.e. applique) is quite relaxing. Maybe it's because I'm not tied to the machine and can carry it with me or just sit and watch TV at the same time.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:56 PM

I've always loved picking the fabric, seeing what patterns and colors look best together. That made making my daughter in law's tshirt quilt so hard, putting orange and maroon and red together in the same quilt. I thought I would hate it, but somehow, using the borders to calm the clashing of the unlikely neighbors, it came out nicely...and she loved it... Maybe what I like best is seeing how much the recipients love what I've done for them. Today as I finished a quilt I started 2 years ago, I ran my hands across the hills and valleys of the fabric and stitches and felt the softness of the batting under it all... Maybe it's the changes I have made in the raw material that keeps me wanting to do more. I love it when I try a new way of doing things and it works better than the old way. I love putting on the binding, and seeing my art finally framed. I love putting it into the washer, then the dryer and seeing it come out all fluffy and warm, and sitting under it and being warmed. Is there a best part of making a quilt? As I finish one today, and sit under the warmth and beauty that has come together, I honestly cannot think of what the best part is. It's a whole bunch of best parts. That's why we are all addicts......It warms our souls.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:11 PM

i like to find a pattern first then go find enough material to do it
Old 01-11-2011, 11:15 PM

I always design all my quilts on graph paper before I even start shopping. I get an idea of what colors I want and how I want them to be arranged. Then I choose the fabrics and get going. I love drawing the quilt out, coloring it in and choosing the fabric but most of all I love being deeply involved in the process. I love the intimacy of a quilt divulging its character to me and dreaming about the person who will get the quilt while I am making it and then saying goodbye to the quilt and knowing that it has fulfilled its destiny and gone to make someone else's life better. I quilt for wounded soldiers, foster children, sick kids and orphaned kids in other countries. I once ran a schoolwide community service project based on the book The Quiltmaker's Gift. I am working my way through the patterns in the book and send a copy of the book with each donated quilt.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Chickpea
I've always loved picking the fabric, seeing what patterns and colors look best together. That made making my daughter in law's tshirt quilt so hard, putting orange and maroon and red together in the same quilt. I thought I would hate it, but somehow, using the borders to calm the clashing of the unlikely neighbors, it came out nicely...and she loved it... Maybe what I like best is seeing how much the recipients love what I've done for them. Today as I finished a quilt I started 2 years ago, I ran my hands across the hills and valleys of the fabric and stitches and felt the softness of the batting under it all... Maybe it's the changes I have made in the raw material that keeps me wanting to do more. I love it when I try a new way of doing things and it works better than the old way. I love putting on the binding, and seeing my art finally framed. I love putting it into the washer, then the dryer and seeing it come out all fluffy and warm, and sitting under it and being warmed. Is there a best part of making a quilt? As I finish one today, and sit under the warmth and beauty that has come together, I honestly cannot think of what the best part is. It's a whole bunch of best parts. That's why we are all addicts......It warms our souls.
DITTO,DITTO,Ditto :) :)