Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best pattern and size for a quilt auction/raffle? >

Best pattern and size for a quilt auction/raffle?

Best pattern and size for a quilt auction/raffle?

Old 10-26-2019, 10:05 AM

Default Best pattern and size for a quilt auction/raffle?

Hi everyone,
I want to contribute with a quilt donation for a fundraiser and I'm wondering what would be the best size and pattern to get the most interest? Any success stories to share? The assistance should be middle-upper class, if it help. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2019, 10:33 AM

Things vary so much by parts of the country I can't give you much advice.

If I can, I make something that pertains to the group, so if it is flowers or animals or whatever. In my area, it seems people mostly like pretty graphic bright quilts, civil war or something muted/low contrast doesn't go over so well. Except with quilters, 30s doesn't go over at all (from what I've seen).

We've had a couple of threads here about the difficulties with raffles in some areas. I have no idea what you might face/not have to deal with in Quebec.

We as quilters are often disappointed with the results of our efforts. My husband's work had a yearly charity basket auction and he came back and reported proudly that my my donated crib quilt fetched $20! I replied that someone then got a very good deal because there was $60 in fabric alone, much less my effort. But it's ok, that was a top for donation -- but that was the last time I donated to their auction!

edit: People here respond well to appliqued borders, even very simple ones like a scrolling vine and simple flowers.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:41 AM

OMG, Iceblossom, 20$ for a baby quilt!!! I understand you never gave them anything again...
Old 10-26-2019, 10:42 AM

Throw size or smaller. Once you get into bed sizes, it becomes a does it match my bedroom and all sorts of problems with thick mattresses, drops and tucking in pillows ect. The list goes on and on. No only that there is the expense of it all. The general population has no idea the cost of a quilt.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

I would be interested in what I call a "couch quilt" - approximatel6 65 inches wide by 85 inches long - or the size of a twin bed sheet.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
. . . . The general population has no idea the cost of a quilt.
How would they know when their knowledge/information comes from ads from stores like WalMart, Kohls, JC Penneys, etc.? (Unless they subscribe to higher-end publications than I am familiar with . . . . )
Old 10-26-2019, 11:16 AM

I agree that a throw/picnic size is the way to go.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:21 AM

I’m only guessing because I’ve wondered the same. I was considering making one to put in a silent auction at my son’s school, and I was toyong with a stained glass pattern with bright batiks. i think anythibg modern with big blocks would appeal to the majority, about 60x72.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

My guild has an annual auction in conjunction with our outdoor quilt show. The larger quilts definitely get more bids and go for a higher price, but I don't know whether they're selling for more per square inch. In other words, would four 50x50 quilts sell for more than one 100x100?

If your fundraiser is for a charity that deals with animals, then quilts with animals will probably do well. If the audience is likely to be interested in cars, then make a quilt with cars. Try to make a quilt that matches the interests of your bidders, if that's possible.
Old 10-26-2019, 01:13 PM

I would attempt to connect the quilt pattern to the charity (if possible) but I would make a fun or cute quilt, maybe something from sewfreshquilts (no connection to her but enjoy her patterns). This type of quilt would appeal to young families, teens, couples, grandparents or singles. Title it as "Perfect to use while watching television, and cuddling with your sweetheart regardless of age". Because people need to be told how to use it.