Best place to buy fabrics

Old 09-20-2016, 07:07 PM

Online I use the sites below
missouriquiltco.com
batiks etc (batiks.com)
connectingthreads.com
greenfairyquilts
ericas.com
fabric.com are my usual choices due to free shipping at certain spent amount or low shipping
keepsakequilting.com once in a while for it is very pricey
notions are mostly bought on nancysnotions.com or amazon or ebay, locally usually joanns
I do get fabric at shows or my LQS, once in a while at joanns if it is a piece I really like and is of decent quality but even joanns can be pricey unless you have a coupon and the fabric isn't already on sale
Massdrop can have great deals if you don't mind waiting a few months for them to ship

Last edited by Dolphyngyrl; 09-20-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

If you're new to quilting/sewing, and have never purchased fabrics before, you may be in for a rude awakening when you try to make money at craft fairs. Your success will depend partly on what part of the country you're in, and what you're making. Some people are successful with them, but many others find that they can't make a profit after expenses. You'll also have quite a learning curve. I wish you well.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:51 PM

batiks $6.95 and name brands on sale $4.99
thousandsofbolts.com

Last edited by annt59; 09-20-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:54 PM

I don't sell at craft shows, but it's my understanding that licensed prints (like many from movies, i.e. Frozen,or sports teams, etc) can not be used to make items that will be sold.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:46 AM

Whittles in Ky are really great too
Old 09-21-2016, 03:21 AM

Hancocks of Paducah, Fabrics, Fabric Depot, Fat Quarter Shop,
Old 09-21-2016, 03:57 AM

I like to shop at Marshall Dry Goods and Connecting Threads when I'm shopping on line. I love Connecting Threads clearance fabric, some priced as low as $3.56 a yard. I also shop at etsy, Ebay, and Fabric.com.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

I would take the time to do this first. I always hit my local fabric and quilt shops. I don't spend near the money for shipping and I like to touch/feel the fabric. I have been too often disappointed with online purchases, especially precuts and you can buy yardage cheaper. Often precuts are not the size they're suppose to be that you pay for. Check nearby estate sales. You'd be amazed the amount of fabric you can get from a cotton shirt or dress. If you see plus sizes in an estate sale ad go for it. I won't drive for much more than an hour though but I'm also not a die-hard quilter like the many other members. Good luck and have fun with it.
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Fabric is not cheaper online... plus you will be paying for shipping. I'd check out all your local sources first. Quilt shops have clearance sections, and JoAnn's has 'red tag' clearance fabrics that they sell at 50% off about once a month.

Marshall's Dry Goods is the best place for selection and price, but you have to go there. They sell online, but they have too much to list on a website and it changes over pretty fast. They tend to advertise only their own lines of fabric on their website, which is not the best stuff they carry. If you are able, go to the store in person. I do that about twice a year, tho it's about 7 hours away from me.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:45 AM

I had great experiences shopping at Whittles.com. I like Fabric.com and don't find them all that slow. I also have found some good deals at Hancock's of Paducah (no affiliate with Hancock's that closed). I shopped at Quiltaway in the past, but they've gotten way more realistic about pricing. I used to shop at Thousands of Bolts fairly regularly and happily, but they have a glitch on their Web site that makes it impossible for me to order. Repeated emails have gone ignored. Although I've spent hundreds there, I guess they don't need my business anymore. This is probably for the best, since it makes me wonder about their responsiveness if I had a problem with an order.

Someday I'll get myself to Fabric Depot in Portland!

I honestly don't believe that my online shopping hurts local quilt shops. I buy because of weakness. I don't need another stitch of fabric. I used to almost exclusively buy at LQS, but these days, if my only option was to pay quilt shop pricing (not due to shop owners fault), I would have stuck with my already bursting at the seams fabric collection.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
If you're new to quilting/sewing, and have never purchased fabrics before, you may be in for a rude awakening when you try to make money at craft fairs. Your success will depend partly on what part of the country you're in, and what you're making. Some people are successful with them, but many others find that they can't make a profit after expenses. You'll also have quite a learning curve. I wish you well.

Dunster, what exactly does my part of the country play a role in making money at a craft fair? Ive been going to craft shows most of my life with my mother and they always seem busy and people seem to be spending money. Im not looking to get rich by any means, mostly just to make a few items and sell at my mothers table and maybe walk away with enough to buy me a cup of coffee for the ride home lol.

To answer your question on what I wish to make, I think I am more into the rag quilts than traditional quilts. I plan on making a new twin size bed cover for my daughter to match her room colors and depending on how that comes out I will decide if I want to make a few more for the upcoming xmas show my dear ole ma always attends.

Anyways, im at work so I will have more time later to answer/ask a few more questions. Thanks all for the responses so far