Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Press, Starch, Etc., please share your knowledge one more time >

Best Press, Starch, Etc., please share your knowledge one more time

Best Press, Starch, Etc., please share your knowledge one more time

Old 04-19-2012, 05:44 PM
BMP

I always use spray starch or Best Press, I think it helps when cutting . One light spray on the back side again after each block when its completed.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

I usually don't pre-wash fabrics and find they have enough body in them for accurate cutting for piecing. If you pre-wash, it's a good idea to starch all of the washed yardage before cutting.

What I do is mix up a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo and water and "paint" the starch onto the yardage using a large wall painting brush. (This is a *lot* faster than spraying!) When the fabric is saturated, I toss it in the dryer, then iron with steam. I always use this technique on backing fabrics before piecing them, as the heavy starch helps prevent puckers when machine quilting. I also use this technique on any fabric that will be cut into bias strips, because the starch prevents the bias edges from stretching out of shape. This is also a great technique to use if you are piecing flannel, as it will keep the flannel pieces from stretching while you sew.

I use spray starch on the quilt top before layering. Again, this helps prevent puckers when machine quilting.

Spray starch can be used on wonky blocks to block them into submission. Sharon Schamber has some videos on Youtube showing how to do this.

Best Press and other spray sizing products do not have the same amount of stabilizing power as starch, and even starches come in different strengths. The 1:1 Sta-Flo/water solution is about as heavy as you can get with starch.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:42 PM

I am always so interested in topics on starch. Can you believe this, in Canada I cannot buy liquid starch in a jug! I have to make starch from cornstarch and I would love to have a jug of Sta-Flo. We also cannot buy color catcher sheets, why, I have no idea but it is very frustrating. I believe in using starch in quilting fabrics for various techniques.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:48 PM

I like Best Press. I press my seams as I go.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:54 PM

So - if I want to use Niagara before cutting but after washing fabric , what should I do? Spray, let it dry (in the dryer?) then iron without steam? I have never starched but would like to give it a try. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ChaiQuilter View Post
So - if I want to use Niagara before cutting but after washing fabric , what should I do? Spray, let it dry (in the dryer?) then iron without steam? I have never starched but would like to give it a try. Thanks.
The idea with using starch is that it needs some time to be absorbed into the fabric. This is probably faster with washed fabric than unwashed, since there will be no surface conditioning agents on the material. It can be absorbed into the fabric and the fabric still be damp.

I personally like to have the starch dry before ironing because then I know it will not scorch on the bottom of my iron. (Starch that is sitting on the surface of fabric has a tendency to scorch, and I have a tendency to run my iron too hot.) I use steam when I iron, because steam re-activates the starch (by adding moisture back into it) just enough to help get wrinkles out.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:32 PM

sammy
pm me if you would, lets see if I can send you a bottle of sta-flo
Old 04-20-2012, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sammygirlqt View Post
I am always so interested in topics on starch. Can you believe this, in Canada I cannot buy liquid starch in a jug! I have to make starch from cornstarch and I would love to have a jug of Sta-Flo. We also cannot buy color catcher sheets, why, I have no idea but it is very frustrating. I believe in using starch in quilting fabrics for various techniques.
Colour Catchers were here, and they took them away from us ... look for Dr. Beckmann's Colour and Dirt Collectors, as they do the same job, and some of us have been able to find them.

Starch ... ditto on not getting the same products. We do have spray starch available here, or Mary Ellen's Best Press.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
Do you:

1) Spray down and iron the fabric to stabilize before you rotary cut it for better precision in cutting?
2) Use it on completed blocks if they are wonky, trying to force them to behave?
3) Use it just to add in pressing for a flatter quilt top?

Thanks for your patience and input.

All of the above.... just depends on the fabric and what it needs. I really use it a lot with all of my finished blocks. They lay flatter after they are bombarded with starch.... I just bought the Bounce to try last weekend and haven't even had time to spray it once.... I usually use the liquid and make my own (which is a much better monetary deal), but wanted to see if the Bounce smelled as good as Best Press (which I absolutely LOVE, but won't buy because of the price, I'd rather have fabric )....... can you imagine---I am getting the message that the above is to short and I need to add characters.....
Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
I like Best Press. I press my seams as I go.
I do exactly the same.