Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best press and starch >

Best press and starch

Best press and starch

Old 08-19-2014, 05:59 AM

On a previous thread, someone said they bought some kind of starch at Fleet Farm. Does anyone recall what it was called? I am going to a Fleet Farm soon (nearest one is 2 hours away) and want to try it but can't remember what it was called.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:24 AM

Best Press is a sizing not a starch. It's not a food source like starch so won't attract critters. Personaly, I prefer Magic Sizing in the green can. It works as well as Best Press at a much lower price. It also won't gunk your iron or ironing surface like starch. If you're going to use the fabric right away, starch is fine. I use the starch in the blue bottle and dilute it abour half and half in my own spray bottle. But I always wash a quilt before I gift it so starch is all gone.
Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
Could somebody explain to me the difference. Both say they are starches but what difference do they make to patchwork piecing and applique work?

Thank you for reading and hopefully replying.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by muskratwine View Post
Best Press is a sizing not a starch.
Are you sure? The MSDS info for Best Press states that it's in the starch family.

http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/spre...pdf?1344950602
Old 08-19-2014, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

I am the odd one out here. I don't spray my fabrics or fabrics with anything but water from a spray bottle. I have made over 136 Quilts.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:36 PM

My local Walmart (Amherst, NH) carries BP. It is in the fabric area. Don't know if stores that don't have a fabric department would carry it. Haven't tried it yet, but I am in the sizing or just plain water group.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:41 PM

Default Magic Sizing

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I really found that I like an item called "Magic Sizing". It gives a light body without the stiffness. I can ONLY find it at the larger Walmart for under $1.00 a can. Never have any problems with the nozzle plugging up and I can quickly spray and press without any flakes. I am on a tight budget so I have never tried Best Press.
I have used Magic Sizing for years for my clothes and keep it on hand. It's a great alternative to starch, although I don't think it's actually starches unless it's very light. As one gal suggested, use the coupons for fabric stores to save. I didn't want to use BEST PRESS either due to cost. Like you I am on a budget. But I did try it and I really like it and only buy it when I have a coupon. I got the refill bottle with a coupon as well. You can get coupons from stores on your smart phone. Hancock Fabric and Joann's Fabric are always running sales. Just go to I've never tried it on fabric, so you've given me a great idea to try it!