Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Press >

Best Press

Best Press

Old 08-23-2019, 07:24 AM

Default Best Press

Hi Guys,

Has anybody else had problems with Best Press leaving stains on their fabric. I find it much more noticeable on plain fabrics. I love Best Press even though it is really expensive in the UK (I am happy to pay) I think I will have to stop using it..... I don’t want to have to keep washing fabrics I am just about to use.

Any thoughts, help or advice?

Hugs

Caroline
Old 08-23-2019, 07:34 AM

What sort of stain is it? Does it come out when you wash the fabric? Is your fabric pre-washed to begin with? If not, I wonder if it's possible that the Best Press is combining with something on the fabric and creating the stain. I am a pre-washer and haven't had this problem. If the stain does come out when you wash the fabric, I guess you could continue working with the fabric and the stain would come out when the quilt is finished and washed.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:53 AM

I think somebody asked about this a week or so ago, although it might have been in a FB or Yahoo group.

At that time, I had not ever had this happen. I buy it in gallon refills, so have used the Citrus (green) one for a long time. Just started a new bottle of Caribbean (blue), and it did leave spots where I didn't iron immediately. A misting of water, followed by immediate ironing, removed it. I never prewash new fabric, but this time am cutting up thrifted shirts, so they were washed before pressing. It's got to be either the Caribbean scent or something in the detergent (Tide HE, original scent).

I like both of these scents, but guess I will only buy Citrus from now on. Of course, having just opened a gallon fo the Caribbean, i will be using it for a while before I need to buy again.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
I think somebody asked about this a week or so ago, although it might have been in a FB or Yahoo group.

At that time, I had not ever had this happen. I buy it in gallon refills, so have used the Citrus (green) one for a long time. Just started a new bottle of Caribbean (blue), and it did leave spots where I didn't iron immediately. A misting of water, followed by immediate ironing, removed it. I never prewash new fabric, but this time am cutting up thrifted shirts, so they were washed before pressing. It's got to be either the Caribbean scent or something in the detergent (Tide HE, original scent).

I like both of these scents, but guess I will only buy Citrus from now on. Of course, having just opened a gallon fo the Caribbean, i will be using it for a while before I need to buy again.
Hi Peace and Joy,

With me it is the Lavender scent that does it. I have the linen fresh that I haven't used yet so I will try that one. I use to on new fabric and I tend to use Moda, Henry Glass and Kona Cotton - but even wetting the fabric immediately doesn't get rid of the stain.... I have to wash it!

Hugs

Caroline
Old 08-23-2019, 04:19 PM

Has anyone contacted the company??
Old 08-23-2019, 06:36 PM

I make my own.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:32 AM

I always use the clear scentless Best Press and have never had a problem with it.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt30 View Post
I make my own.
Please pass on your recipe for Best Press that works.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:13 AM

if I were you, I would make my own....someone posted the recipe a year or more ago.....I had so much on hand, I haven't tried the recipe. I will next time. I have never had a problem with staining.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

Custom dressmakers use Flatter spray for no staining, no shine, no flakes, and no spray marks at all. A little overboard for regular fabrics but when using solid cottons I use it instead of other sprays.