Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best priced embroidery thread for Bernina??? >

Best priced embroidery thread for Bernina???

Best priced embroidery thread for Bernina???

Old 10-04-2014, 02:21 AM

Default Best priced embroidery thread for Bernina???

I bought an embroidery module for my Bernina 750 last year and I am just now learning out to use it. I am SHOCKED at the price of the embroidery thread, it's going to take some time and money to build up a stash. I read that Rayon is the best, but polyester embroidery thread is less expensive. I wondered if someone would shed some light on a good thread at a good price. I found some Medera thread on thesophisticatedstitcher.com the rayon thread is $3.45 for 1100 yds on sale from $6.95 is that a good price? Or is their a better price somewhere else. I noticed in the class I took everyone was using Isacord, they sold that brand.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:40 AM

yes it is expensive this is where I get all my embroidery thread http://www.threadart.com/?gclid=Cj0K...xgIaAltR8P8HAQ I use the polyester for years never had a problem with there thread the difference between the rayon is that it's a lot shinier and heard it dose not hold as well as the polyester in washing like I said I have been using there thread for years no problems I buy most of my thread from them
Old 10-04-2014, 03:26 AM

I have picked out a embroidery design that I want to do on my machine, it has 11 colors, the site has a conversion chart that tells me which color thread to buy and it converts to different brands. I would like to take your advice and buy from threadart.com but it doesn't have the conversion chart. What brand is their polyester thread? Do you just eyeball it?
Old 10-04-2014, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

I would read what thread your Bernina manual suggests for you to use. Members sometime post sales of thread in the Links and Resources section. Have fun !!
Old 10-04-2014, 04:07 AM

I use Isacord embroidery thread. My machine is a Bernina, and it likes the Isacord. I have much less breakage with it than I do with the Madeira thread. The Isacord isn't as shinny as the Madeira, but it is much stronger and easier to sew with. I buy it at my LQS where I get a discount, but it is still expensive. I use mostly Christmas colors with my embroidery and have collected several colors. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but this year for my birthday I asked for $200 worth of thread for quilting. I buy my thread with birthday and Christmas money.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by debbiemarie View Post
I bought an embroidery module for my Bernina 750 last year and I am just now learning out to use it. I am SHOCKED at the price of the embroidery thread, it's going to take some time and money to build up a stash. I read that Rayon is the best, but polyester embroidery thread is less expensive. I wondered if someone would shed some light on a good thread at a good price. I found some Medera thread on thesophisticatedstitcher.com the rayon thread is $3.45 for 1100 yds on sale from $6.95 is that a good price? Or is their a better price somewhere else. I noticed in the class I took everyone was using Isacord, they sold that brand.
Opps, I found the conversion chart on threadart.com!!
Old 10-04-2014, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

Rayon thread has a lovely sheen, but is not as colorfast as Polyester. If you are doing decorative items, rayon may be a good choice, but for items that will be laundered a lot, especially kids clothes, poly is probably your best option. Many machines are fussy as to the brand of thread, so you might want to get a single spool of a particular brand before you buy several. I have a Viking that will take anything, but the Brother I had before would not sew with Threadart, however, your machine might love it! I also like Isacord and Madeira poly.
I get my thread & stabilizer from all stitch. Their Madeira is $2.63
http://www.allstitch.net/department/...mber-10075.cfm
I would also take the time to read the informative articles on general embroidery and stabilizer selection on their education page:
http://www.allstitch.net/department/....cfm?killnav=1

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 10-04-2014 at 04:51 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:09 AM

I buy all my embroidery thread at: http://metroemb.com/store/index.php?...ory&path=20_27, I don't think you can beat their prices and customer service.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:09 AM

I buy from ThreadARt for my Brother Innovis 4000D. Their polyester has never shredded in my machine, has never faded even when washed with Hot water, and holds it's color beautifully. Their 5000m cones are a super deal, especially when I can get them on sale. It takes a lot of embroidery to use one of them.

I bought polyester thread sets from Ebay to begin with. I wanted a lot of colors to choose from. My first set was 64 1100m spools of thread for less than $100. A friend had advised me that Rayon had issues with fading and the color running if washed in hot water. Several people have told me since then, that is no longer a problem. I haven't tested it. I have bought 3 different sets of the embroidery thread from different businesses. All have the same quality and durability and sheen. I have only bought 2 or 3 spools of thread individually and I am glad. I hate to pay 3 or 4 times as much for thread than I can get it from Threadart or one of several vendors on Ebay.

Caution: Read the listings well. Some of these are 500m spools as opposed to 1000m spools.

Some of the listings from Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polyester-Em...item3a96b99386

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exquisite-Po...item23129ef022

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Brother-...item5662895260

There are more.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:27 AM

I have a Bernina and a great dealer that teaches hands on. Unfortunately the isacord thread she sells is quite pricey. I purchased the thread chart for the isacord thread and then I purchased my thread from http://bfc-stash.com/ They have sales and when they do the thread is 1.85 a spool....sometimes less. I now have all of their thread and love it. It works great in my machine. I do need to put the metallic thread on a stand and put the stand on the floor. This takes the curt out of the thread before it gets to the machine and of course I use a metallic or top stitch needle for this thread. Enjoy your sewing. When you go to their site click on start shopping.