Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Sewing Chair >

Best Sewing Chair

Best Sewing Chair

Old 04-17-2010, 02:59 AM

I too went to and office supply store. I bought two admin without arms and fully adjustable for height, angle, etc. Have used them for several years and my back and butt are doing just fine. My cats love them also.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:48 AM

I bought a used office chair a year ago..and it was one with a back support. My back and butt still hurt..then low and behold..I was at the drug store..and the medical supply salesperson told me what I needed. She had seat cushions with a hole in the center..I have been using it for 2 months and it no back pain..no butt pain. Works wonders
Old 04-17-2010, 05:18 AM

I bought an 'up & down' adjustable bar stool from Bed,Bath & Beyond. I can raise it when I'm working at my cutting table which is elevated and I can lower it to sew. In it's lowest position it's a little higher than a regular chair which gives me a much better view of what I'm sewing. And it was reasonable pricewise.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:35 AM

I'M WITH YOU ON THE age and slouching. Have to make myself sit up straighter. Think I will try the chairs out at office max or office depot
Old 04-17-2010, 03:39 PM

I have an office chair with no arms. Works good, but I have put one of those plastic office pads on the floor for easy rolling and it also protects the carpet for wear. We also have these in the computer room.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by fun2quilt
Originally Posted by Alisapao730
ha ha... Maybe I'll barrow mine from Work since Tax season is now over and my Administrative Assisting is over until next season LOL! I'd have to get something for my carpeted floor for mobility. has anyone tried an exercise Ball? I here They help with posture.
I have several exercise balls, love them for working out on, but would not reccommend it for sewing/quilting. Then there is the possible pin prick problem and then a flat ball.

I attended a Harrient Hargrave machine quilting class. The whole first portion of the class was on quilting ergonomically! She has a Hermann Miller chair. That didn't fit my bocy well and was way too expensive for me. So I saw what the secretarial staff were using: a Swopper. I talked the store manager into letting me try the Swopper over the weekend. I loved it so much I ordered one. I got it from an higer end office furniture store. It is fully adjustable for height, no wheels, so I have it on a little throw rug to protect my wood floors and so I can move it a bit. It cost a bit more but is really worth it. It is like sitting on a balance ball in that it forces you to use good posture. I know you can find it online.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I buy a cheap office chair that has air lift and don't put the back on it. It keeps me sitting straight and I have no aches anymore from sitting and sewing for a long time. I bought a hemorrhoid pillow and it's the best I've found to prevent butt numbness.
A hemorrhoid pillow :thumbup: what a great idea! I would have never thought of that myself. You are terrific and clever... and smart! There is nothing like numbness when you were having fun sewing. :roll:
Old 04-17-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by AliKat
ha ha... Maybe I'll barrow mine from Work since Tax season is now over and my Administrative Assisting is over until next season LOL! I'd have to get something for my carpeted floor for mobility. has anyone tried an exercise Ball? I here They help with posture.
I have several exercise balls, love them for working out on, but would not reccommend it for sewing/quilting. Then there is the possible pin prick problem and then a flat ball.

I attended a Harrient Hargrave machine quilting class. The whole first portion of the class was on quilting ergonomically! She has a Hermann Miller chair. That didn't fit my bocy well and was way too expensive for me. So I saw what the secretarial staff were using: a Swopper. I talked the store manager into letting me try the Swopper over the weekend. I loved it so much I ordered one. I got it from an higer end office furniture store. It is fully adjustable for height, no wheels, so I have it on a little throw rug to protect my wood floors and so I can move it a bit. It cost a bit more but is really worth it. It is like sitting on a balance ball in that it forces you to use good posture. I know you can find it online.
This sounds like a good chair! I'll have to check it out!
Old 04-17-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by AliKat

This sounds like a good chair! I'll have to check it out!
Just checked it out on You tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0oovXobVX4 Looks like a chair for me, but a bit pricy at this point :(
Old 04-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Power Poster

I kept checking the office supply stores like Staples for chairs. I found one with about 9 different adjustments on clearance for just a little more than a standard office chair. I did NOT care tht it was "last" years design LOL
It was the best money I have spent. I can adjust it for sewing or being on the computer :D:D:D