Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Son Ever/my quilt found a home

Best Son Ever/my quilt found a home

My son came to spend the afternoon a few days ago before heading off to boot camp, and asked what I had been up to. I showed him my recently completed quilt, pictured in this post, and told him how it was a Mystery Challenge I pieced on New Year's Eve many years ago, and how I finally used it to try and learn to FMQ.

He was thoughtful for a bit, than asked if he could have it. I asked if he was sure, after all, it is very pink, and, being my first attempt, poorly quilted.

What I had forgotten, and what he remembered, is that it was the first New Year's Eve than he had gone out to celebrate, and how I stayed up all night sewing in order to be awake and available to drive him or his friends anywhere so they would not drink and drive. He said the quilt reminded him how I am always there for him, no matter what.

Then he told me he didn't care that the quilting was so awful. He was proud of me for trying to learn something new.

Best Son Ever.

Such a thoughtful guy! You must be very proud. And tell him "Thanks" for choosing to serve his country. Another PLUS in my book.

From a proud Navy vet and mother to a Marine
    Being a mother is an attitude, not a biological relation.
    TANSTAAFL= There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Blog Entries
    what a wonderful story. thank him for his service
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    That is so sweet! It will be like a hug from Mom.

Lovely story, makes me teary eyed. Hope he gets lots of comfort from his Mom hugs quilt.

I have tears in my eyes right now. That is wonderful.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    What a nice story. Great quilt, great son. Thanks to him for serving our country.

That's awesome It's always nice to have a little insight on what our children remember, is important to them, and why.
    If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough!

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wow--I'm tearing up! Something tells me that he's a very fine young man that makes good choices--won't have to worry about him in life, Mom.

I'm all teary now - what a touching story.

Power Poster
    Sweet story - he sounds like a sweetie - and you sound like you did a great job raising him.

He sounds like a wonderful Son. We are surprised sometimes what kids remember and what means so much to them.
    They sometimes seem not to be paying attention and then they say tells us they were.

Thank him for serving his country.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Congrats on raising such a good person.

bkay

Great son great Mom, you must be so proud!!! I appreciate his service to our country, and will pray for his safety.

Your son is one of a kind. He sounds very special. Hugs to him from South Louisiana.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Oh, now I'm all choked up. What a sensitive young man, yet so brave too. A wonderful combination of traits. Your concern for him on the NYE night must have been an anchor to his soul. I'm glad he asked for the quilt, pink and all. It'll be a wonderful comfort to him and a great conversation starter when buddies want to chide him about his pink blankie. LOL

Beautiful story, I'm sure it reminds him of home everytime he looks at it.

Blog Entries
    very touching to read! we never know what our actions will do for others, even years later!

I love your story! What a great son!
    Rilène

Blog Entries
    How freaking sweet. Even so many years later he remembered. Yup, he's your best son ever!
    Go forth and sew!

Awe, mom....you "done good" raising that boy. I was nearly in tears.

My son-in-law is in the Air Force, and he would tell stories of the guys having "princess" sheets sent to them by their loved ones because it would remind them of home and their families (children). If having a "less than perfect to you" quilt makes him think of anything positive at home, it is a WIN-WIN for both of you!

Stay strong, mama. He will return to you! And his service is just one more thing to add to the growing list of why you are proud.

Good job!

ditto what Lynnie said!!!

Thank you all for the warm thoughts, prayers and appreciation for my son. I will definitely let him know my online quilty peeps are rooting for him.

I have indeed been blessed to have, not one, but two, awesome boys, who despite genetics and all my mistakes, grew up to be outstanding young men who constantly amaze me. #1 son, the subject of this post, did nine years of service in the Navy, and is now at boot camp for the Army Reserves. #2 son is an outstanding Chef who started cooking when he as just 3 years old!

All2Pieces, redstillettos, and others who have served or have family members in the military- Thank you also for the sacrifices you make to support the truly special men and women who chose to serve.

Your son's story brings tears and joy to everyone who hears it. You must be very proud of him. You are very blessed to have 2 fine sons.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

That is what it is all about for me! Not the perfection, or lack of, in a quilt, not the colors or the pattern. It is the meaning behind it. The feeling you get when you wrap it around you. That is the love! I am so glad he asked for it and explained to you why he wanted it. I hope this forever warms your heart.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast