Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Thread for Appliqué >

Best Thread for Appliqué

Best Thread for Appliqué

Old 12-24-2021, 04:25 PM

Unhappy Best Thread for Appliqué

I am hand appliquéing several vintage Dresdens onto background squares. (They’re sewn to muslin as the edges were raw). I’m using a blind stitch and having trouble with my thread kinking and knotting up. I’m using Mettler silk finish cotton 50 weight. Needles are John James size 10. How can I fix this-it’s frustrating?
Old 12-24-2021, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

I like to use 100 weight silk thread for applique. It really disappears into the fabric. One thing you might try (and it might not help) is to change which end of the thread is knotted. That is, if you're currently knotting the end that you just cut off, try knotting the other end instead. The theory is that the twist of the thread can make a difference. (I haven't found that to be true with the silk thread.)
Old 12-24-2021, 05:29 PM

Thank you! ‘They’ say to put the first end coming off the spool through the needle and the to knot the end you cut. I’ve done that, as well as slide the thread through a dryer sheet. The latter helps, but it soon rubs off as the thread goes through the fabric several times. I just bought some beeswax online-will try it instead.
Old 12-24-2021, 06:52 PM

I use bee's wax when hand sewing and it works well for me. There is also a liquid called Sewer's Aid which I use on the spool when my thread on my machine doesn't behave. You put it on the thread on the spool. It helps the thread slide through the machine and keeps it slick.
Old 12-24-2021, 07:09 PM

I use Thread Heaven to condition my thread (not sure if this is still available). Although people rave about Aurifil 50 wt., I find it twists and knots just as you describe (but the colors are heavenly). I like to use Masterpiece 2-ply; they discontinued this on spools/cones, but Superior Threads has a supply of bobbins in all the Masterpiece colors in 2-ply (this is also my favorite piecing thread, in 3-ply). I've also used silk thread for applique, which is nice. In the end, though, I go with whatever is the closest in color to my applique piece (I've even used heavy hand-quilting thread).
Old 12-25-2021, 03:12 AM

I use Guterman's silk thread run through bees' wax before using with straw needles. I also don't use too long a piece of thread - maybe 12" or so.
Old 12-25-2021, 03:36 AM

Another vote for Thread Heaven as well. That stuff is truly 'heavenly'!
Old 12-25-2021, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

I also use 100 wt silk thread for hand appliqué. It is so smooth, strong and literally disappears.
Old 12-25-2021, 06:39 AM

I am not a hand quilter. But, I used to do a ton of counted cross stitch and I recall, the cotton thread I used would twist and know terribly if I used too long a piece and also I found it very helpful to just hold the end of the thread and let the needle dangle straight down and hold it there until the untwisting ended. Don't know if this would help.