Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best thread weight? >

Best thread weight?

Best thread weight?

Old 06-30-2020, 11:06 AM

Default Best thread weight?

If I am stitching in the ditch using a sewing machine(not by hand), is 35 weight thread too thick? I used this weight for piecing too which in retrospect I think a thinner thread would have been better.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

Often people piece with 50-60 wt thread, quilt with 40. It is ok to use thicker thread for quilting if you want your thread to stand out. Piecing most want finer thread so their piecing is more accurate. Heavy thread takes up space in the seams so when you think you are sewing a 1/4” seam it may take up 3/8” or more when pressed. I know quilters who quilt with quite heavy threads sometimes when they really want the threads to show- be a dominant part of the quilt- even 12 wt.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

A thinner thread would hide in the ditch better, and wouldn't show up as much if it gets out of the ditch a little. I like to use MicroQuilter (100 wt) for ditch quilting with the longarm. I haven't tried it on my DSM.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

35 wt thread is probably 3 ply and very thick. Too thick for piecing, it will take up a lot of the 1/4" seam space. Any weight of thread under 50 wt is used if the stitches are to be seen as part of the quilt design. 50 wt and higher wt for stitches that will seem to sink in the quilt. Start with the more expensive quality brands of thread and then compare each brand to others. Soon you will know which brand you are happy with and can look for sales for that brand.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:33 PM

I would use 50wt to piece and 60 to 80wt for SITD. I would use 40wt and thicker for less dense quilting I want to showcase
Old 07-04-2020, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

I'm making a fabric book for my baby granddaughter and am using Invisafil (I think that's the name of it) for the first time. I want to do some quilting but didn't want the stitching to show. I love the way it's going.
I find thread confusing but have learned a lot on this board.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by linmarlang View Post
If I am stitching in the ditch using a sewing machine(not by hand), is 35 weight thread too thick? I used this weight for piecing too which in retrospect I think a thinner thread would have been better.
For Stitching in the ditch, I use superior thread's bottom line thread. I am not certain of the thread weight, but it works great. I use it in the spool on top and matching thread in the bobbin.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:28 AM

I try to stay with a 50wt thread most of the time on my day to day sewing on the machine.. I use a finer threads for embroidery and much heavier for hand quilting
Old 07-05-2020, 06:09 AM

I also use MicroQuilter (100 wt.) for stitch in the ditch.

Jim
Old 07-05-2020, 07:26 AM

Superior's bottom line is a 60 weight poly thread...nice for applique and stitch in the ditch and piecing...