Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best way to make bias binding? >

Best way to make bias binding?

Best way to make bias binding?

Old 03-09-2019, 08:16 PM

Default Best way to make bias binding?

I want to make bias binding, I really do, but I have a few issues. 1 is that it seems like it wastes a lot of fabric and 2 is that when I do it the triangles way I seem to have a lot of seams. What is my problem? Ok, overly broad question with too much opportunity, lol. What am I doing wrong with the triangles made into a square technique? Thank you kind quilters!
Old 03-09-2019, 08:43 PM

This is a simple method to making the bias binding. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12VNavQleCM&t=83s
Old 03-09-2019, 08:55 PM
Power Poster

I like to mark and cut my bias binding from a square of fabric. I just use my large square ruler to mark the 45* angle starting on the bottom edge. I then use a longer ruler to extend that mark to the top edge of the square. I measure and cut 2 and 1/4 inch strips at the 45* angle. I use the longest strips and I just join them as needed. This allows me to shorten a strip if the next join would be in a bad spot.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:00 AM

Yes, that's the one I (and many others) use. Works well and is easy.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:04 AM

I love bias striped binding. I've tried the tube, which works. I used this one last week and I liked it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wOU8FR3S4o You have to fold carefully or the width of the strips will not be the same (I guess that was what went wrong). It wasn't a problem for me, as I was making pot holders and it didn't need to be that exact. I'll remember next time, though. I wasn't sure how much fabric to use, as the tutorial doesn't give you any indication.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

I bought a bias ruler and it works great. Bias is really a pain and I don't like cutting it or sewing it together. I usually use straight double binding. One thing I have noticed is my quilts with bias binding seems to have wear on the bias edges and the quilts that have double straight binding have hardly any wear on the binding. The comparisons are on the kids utility quilts I have made and they are washed and dried a lot. I won't put bias binding on quilts that are used a lot.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:42 AM

Here's a link to how I cut bias binding: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Iq4...zIRerXHp8/view It's the handout that I give my students when I teach the Beginning Binding class. We fold the fabric, cut the strips with a rotary cutter, then sew the ends together.

I did the triangle method you're talking about ...once. That is pretty time consuming! ...drawing all those lines and cutting with scissors.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:54 AM

I use the continuous method with the triangles. I don't worry about the weird seams but I think you only end up with one or two of those so if you really don't like them you can just cut them out and rejoin the strips after you've done all the strip cutting. The ones I mean are where you actually get two seams meeting in a sort of Y configuration.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I've been doing striped bias bindings on my quilts for years. I learned this method by Pirate(Shelley Rodgers) about 10 years ago and never looked back.

http://piraterodgers.com/tutorials/cbt/#directions

Cari
Okay, so that intrigues me. I printed it out and am going to do it, just to see. Apparently I have too much time on my hands!!
Old 03-10-2019, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I bought a bias ruler and it works great. Bias is really a pain and I don't like cutting it or sewing it together. I usually use straight double binding. One thing I have noticed is my quilts with bias binding seems to have wear on the bias edges and the quilts that have double straight binding have hardly any wear on the binding. The comparisons are on the kids utility quilts I have made and they are washed and dried a lot. I won't put bias binding on quilts that are used a lot.
I am so happy to see this as it makes it ok for me to use straight binding, lol, because the vast majority say that the reason to use bias binding is that it wears better than straight binding. You are my newest hero.