Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The best way and quickest way to applique stars for baby quilt >

The best way and quickest way to applique stars for baby quilt

The best way and quickest way to applique stars for baby quilt

Old 06-01-2012, 04:44 PM

I'd go with the fusible and raw edge (straight stitch) applique. I've done it and it's fine.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by nantucketsue View Post
Well I have done stars before, freezer paper and needle turn, but never seem to be able to get really sharp points. However, these are going to be quite small and as they are in a baby quilt that will be washed frequently I need them to stay put. I thought of raw edge applique using fusible, but do not want to do a heavy satiin stich. I wonder about using the heavy duty no-sew bonding fusible, but will this really stand up to all that washing? Any suggestions please.
I tryed using the heavy duty bonding fusabile, looked great but do not like the feel of it. It feels like I left heavy paper under my daisy's, after several washings it really looks bad, like paper that has been folded to many times. If I were you I'd make a sample using it with the fabric you plan on using, wash it several times, and see how you like it.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:07 PM

I would fuse the stars, and then use some stitch to sew them down. If you have a blanket stitch, that always looks good, but you can also use straight stitch, or a zig-zag. With the straight stitch, there will be a bit of fraying around the edges with washing. The zig-zag or blanket stitch would be more secure. I wouldn't recommend the no-sew bond.