Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
best  way to ship >

best way to ship

best way to ship

Old 09-08-2011, 02:35 PM

I have two small quilts that I have donated, 1. a wheel chair size lap quilt and 2. a 54 1/2 by 70" couch throw to send to OK for the Toys for Tots benefit . Am wondering what would be the most reasonable way to ship. UPS, Fed Ex, or the post office. I haven't shipped anything in years and I am sure someone here has done a lot of shipping and can help me out. Thanks Deb
Old 09-08-2011, 02:39 PM

I have access to the company Federal Express account from work and have always found it to be the cheapest for ground. They do get some kind of discount so I am not sure about just going to federal express and their prices. One thing, if you can send to a business address it is cheaper both Federal Express and UPS.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:41 PM

I ship things around the country quite a bit, and have had very good luck using USPS Priority Mail flat rate boxes (PO provides free!) and paying the additional for insurance or tracking if I'm sending a quilt. If I am sending breakable or irreplaceable items, I will only use UPS, and send through one of their stores so they pack it and ship it.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:46 PM

For me- post office!!
Old 09-08-2011, 06:17 PM

post office for me too. can't miss with those flat rate boxes. plus you can stuff them real tight. as long as you are under the weight limit.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:18 PM

Flat rate boxes wont work for you. They are too small. I do a lot of shipping and the best rate is Parcel Post with the US Postal Service. It is a ground service that takes 2 to 9 days. If the delivery is close by, within your current shipping zone you can sometimes ship it with Priority Mail for just about the same price.

Good luck,
Harry
Originally Posted by Painiacs
For me- post office!!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:12 PM

I ship UPS. It is expensive because I always insure the quilts.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:45 AM
Power Poster

i send quilts all over the country on a regular basis- i use post office flat rate priority boxes/packages. it is cost effective and they arrive in 3 days. it is an additional 70 cents to add delivery confirmation which i also find very cost effective.
for customer quilts i always add insurance- if you insure for over $200 the delivery confirmation is included-so not an extra charge. i think it's $1.70 for the insurance.
trying to keep the post office in business :)
Old 09-09-2011, 03:25 AM

I've shipped all 3 and shipped int'l also and only one problem - UPS damaged a package which contained a large art print and they never delivered the damaged package back to me or to the recipient. They said it was their policy. But very recently they delivered a horribly mangled box, covered in a mishmash of packing tape, but the goods weren't damaged, so maybe they have a new policy. Fed-X never an issue. PO, have received fabric in those fast-ship envelopes and it was all taped together.
Insure!!
Old 09-09-2011, 04:01 AM

I would be wary of Pack and Ship places, unless you can actually WATCH them pack your stuff. I got a quilt once that was not even in a box, just two pieces of cardboard folded around it and taped. Found out it was the work of a P&S place, who had told the sender, "Oh we have just the box for that".

Anything worth more than $50 or so, I use UPS. Also, anything over 3 pounds is usually cheaper UPS unless you can fit it in a FR box. UPS gives you the first $100 of insurance for free, and up to $300 is the next tier. And very easy to collect if you have a claim, not like the PO.

Plus UPS gives you tracking EVERY step of the way , every time it arrives or leaves a way station. Good for peace of mind.