Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which is better for hiding MQ stitching thread ends? >

Which is better for hiding MQ stitching thread ends?

Which is better for hiding MQ stitching thread ends?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:56 AM

I have taken to hiding my threads that are left hanging from MQ by using a needle to imbed a portion of the sting in the quilt sandwich then clipping of the remainder. What i'm wondering who snips and who hides and which is better?
While doing a search someone said they snip then add a drop of frey check, isn't this going to wash out?
Also if you hide, is there an easier way than having to sew each thread into the quilt sandwich. It is a lot of work.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:06 AM

When the thread matches the fabric, I take tiny, tiny stitches at the start of quilting and again when I am ready to end that line of stitching. Then clip the threads. When I tie off and bury the thread ends I use a "easy thread needle", the one with a notch going into the eye from the top of the needle so I just have to pull both thread ends down into the eye at one time without "threading the needle". This is so much faster than "threading the eye" but still takes time to do.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:11 AM

I put a knot with the two threads, then bury about 2" of the thread including the knot. Hope that helps.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
I put a knot with the two threads, then bury about 2" of the thread including the knot. Hope that helps.
I do the same. I find using a curved needle makes it faster to bury the knot and threads.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

i start and stop with a few tiny stitches in place- then just clip the threads off at the surface of the quilt- in the 10 years of doing this i've not had any problems doing it that way.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:52 AM

I've been seeing these "One Second Needles" on TV. And wanted to try them but didn't like the $6.99 shipping and handleing... so I didn't order them. But....

I found them at Hancock Fabrics in the As Seen on TV section. Same price, same deal but no shipping charge.

I open the package and sure enough they thread easy and quick. They feel a bit odd, like pressed hollow aluminum. But they work~ Better then those easy thread needles where every time I try to work them I break my thread..

Just a thought
Mona

onesecondneedle.com
[ATTACH=CONFIG]215698[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-215692.jpe  
Old 06-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

I leave a long tail and pull the thread into the batting. It's super easy and fast. The head is small as a needle so it doesn't leave a large hole. I have never had a thread come out of the batting. It's for removing stray threads that get caught underneath but it works great in reverse.

http://www.createforless.com/Clover+...pid164776.aspx
Old 06-23-2011, 02:05 PM

I need to get some of the easy thread needles. I can't find them around here, but will be going to Salem soon. Think I will locate the Hancocks up there and see if they have them. I like to avoid shipping charges to.
I also think that pick thing is interesting. I will have to check into it.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:16 PM

Thank you for tip. I have one of the knit pics and never thought to use it on quilts.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:30 PM

I take a couple of reverse stitches at the beginning and ending of my quilting, and then just snip the threads. So far I haven't had any come loose, and some of my quilts are now 5 years old and washed a dozen times.