Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Better late than never--Just "found" the right foot for sewing bindings!

Better late than never--Just "found" the right foot for sewing bindings!

I've been at this quilting stuff for 20 years or so and just this past couple of quilts did it finally dawn on me that my "stitch in the ditch" foot (#10) for my Bernina Activia 135 is wonderful for stitching bindings down by machine on the front of the quilt! I just moved the needle over to the right size and stitched away--It works so well, I can't imagine why I've been so slow catching on. But I thought it might make someone else look over their machine feet and perhaps find one that will make some of your quilting easier!
    God Bless,
    Rachel

I have used mine for binding as well -- it really helps keep me on track.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    What a great idea!!! And I just bought a stitch in the ditch foot recently. Thanks!!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I've always used mine for SITD on the front after sewing the binding to the front. Of course. 'always' is the year and half I've been quilting.

Blog Entries
    thanks so much! i'm going to try mine
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    The foot use to be called Edge Joining foot but when quilters discovered it's great for SITD , the foot changed names. So be sure you don't already have one for your machine before buying the STID foot.
    Got fabric?

Do you use the Wonder Clips for holding the binding? I have a Bernina 640 and have just been using my walking foot. How do you handle the corners when using this foot?
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    The foot use to be called Edge Joining foot but when quilters discovered it's great for SITD , the foot changed names. So be sure you don't already have one for your machine before buying the STID foot.
    Haha, just last weekend I had some quilters at the lake for the weekend. One mentioned a SITD foot and I wanted to see it. It sounded like the best thing since sliced bread! When she showed me, I told her it was an edge joining foot and showed her how to use it. We both learned something!

piney

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    I will have to check out my feet to see if I have that one as I dont know what most of the feet that came with my machine do!
    True friends are like diamonds
    They are precious and rare.

I have a Singer (low shank) machine and bought the generic SID foot from JoAnn's, I think. I use it for binding all my kids and baby quilts where I stitch on the back first and then fold to the front and top stitch with the SID foot. I usually use the point of my seam ripper to hold the binding in place until the presser foot grabs it. Works fantastic and the corners come out perfect. I too, have to adjust my needle position 3-5 clicks to the right, and match the bobbin thread to the backing of my quilt.

I wish I could figure out how to machine sew the binding so that it catches the seam on the back just right. any hints?

I've seen some beautiful work on some quilts with stitch in the ditch on the front. I was taught to pin, pin, pin, but I don't like being stuck. Last time I did it I used the wonder clips from Clover; those little tiny red things. Expensive, but they work. Now I have read about using Elmer's School Glue to hold the binding just where you want it, and am going to try that. If you haven't heard of that, I'm sure someone here can tell you all about it.

[QUOTE=EmiliasNana I usually use the point of my seam ripper to hold the binding in place until the presser foot grabs it.

Good grief! Don't you have a purple thang? Easier, safer (for you and the quilt)! Cheap. Seam rippers sometimes get a mind of their own and you end up with a hole.... unless your seam ripper is one of those dull ones, I guess.

What a great idea for using that foot... I wonder if I already have one as well. I got a slew of feet with my machine when I bought it and if I don't have it, I think I should get one! Thanks!

Okay... I had to go look and see if I could find a video showing this foot. I think I'm going to demo it at my next quilt guild meeting. Wow. It's a cool foot for a lot of things. We have a few ladies that are working on applique quilts and this foot would make life a lot easier for them as well.
    I thought I'd share the really good video I found
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uk0ifHrepQ

I might have to invest in a new foot! Thanks for the info.

Boy, it's easy to under-utilize feet. In fact, I've actually gone out and purchased a foot only to find out I already have it! How's that for bad?

WOW I going to check in my Bernina foot box and see if I also have a #10 foot... I really do not know...Thanks for the heads up.

Judy in Phx, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    Do you use the Wonder Clips for holding the binding? I have a Bernina 640 and have just been using my walking foot. How do you handle the corners when using this foot?
    I used Wonder Clips for the first time last week, and I LOVE THEM! faster and less mess than the glue method.

I think you could use the walking foot the same way as any foot for the corners - sew to the seam's length away from the corner (usually 1/4"), remove the quilt from the machine, fold the binding up at a 45 degree angle, fold it down square with the side you just sewed, sew from the top to the next edge and repeat.

Thanks for the great idea. I'm about to make some table mats, I will try the SITD foot for the binding.

Now this is really funny. I've been sewing for more years than I care to admit and today I figured out the exact same thing. I had the SITD sole on my walking foot so didn't bother to change it. Sewed binding on wrong side & when I turned quilt over to sew it on the front. . . Bingo! A light bulb went off. Little did I know it was your light bulb. LOL.

Dee
    Thanks so much for the learnning info.

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    That video was terrfic. Definitely need to get my hands on one of these! Thanks so much for sharing this.
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

Can someone put up a pic please. I am pretty sure I know which foot you are all talking about, but a pic would be great.

Bonnie B

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by moreland View Post
    I've been at this quilting stuff for 20 years or so and just this past couple of quilts did it finally dawn on me that my "stitch in the ditch" foot (#10) for my Bernina Activia 135 is wonderful for stitching bindings down by machine on the front of the quilt! I just moved the needle over to the right size and stitched away--It works so well, I can't imagine why I've been so slow catching on. But I thought it might make someone else look over their machine feet and perhaps find one that will make some of your quilting easier!
    I also have a Bernina and use the walking foot with the stitch in the ditch attachment. Ir helps me hold down all the layers and in line.
    Johanna
    North Carolina

Bernina 730
    Bernina 330

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast