Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: BEWARE using Coupons for Jo-Ann Fabrics

I went shopping today to use a 40% off coupon on a special $12.99/ yard fabric, but when I got to the checkout the cashier said it's on sale for $9.99 so I couldn't use the coupon. Well this happened to me before and I called the corporate office and complained that an item was not marked on sale but rang up less so I could not use the coupon, At that time they told me to go back to the store and they would have them give me the coupon price. So today I said well it's not marked down so let me speak to the manager on duty and they gave it to me for 40% off the regular price. But watch when you shop there because it appears this is how they do business and if you don't know or say anything you will pay more.

They used to let you automatically use a coupon for 40% off the regular price even if it was on sale, but some stores have changed the policy on that. My Joann store will not do it anymore. I asked and they said it is the policy, now.

Keep complaining. Hancock's was doing the same thing, but this week they have changed that policy again.

Yep, I was told the same thing on Saturday.

Blog Entries
    My nearest JoAnn's is not close, so I have to really need several things to justify the gas to get there. It does disappoint me when I can't use the coupons I planned on based on their sales circular. That's why I try to shop elsewhere.

I had this happen multiple times in Hancock Fabrics too. No where did I see a sale sign, but all the sudden the fabric rings up for between 20 and 30% so that I can't use a 40% off coupon. However, when I question it, they did override so I got the 40%...and proceeded to roll their eyes like I was the stupid one!

I think they hope the consumer won't notice. I know a lot of people who wouldn't be doing %s in their head and wouldn't notice til later (if at all). I think it is a deceptive practice and pretty much done on purpose.

I ignore the "rolling eyes" and just do what I need to get my percent off.

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    We have nice employees at out Joanns...they will usually mention "this fabric is onsale so no coupons allowed" before they cut it..might be best to ask before they cut it if you are planning to use a coupon..Linda B.

I am very fortunate, as an old and very dear friend is in management at my local Joanne's. She takes very good care of me. :-)

Yeah, I have had that happen too. I get so I just ignore the coupons they have because of it. Seems like the only thing I can buy with the coupon is thread.

Well, JoAnns has new owner management. I would suggest that we all complain to each store's managers and then also either email and call the corporate office to voice our complaints. When they have to keep spending time on the phone to hear our complaints and how many phone calls are calling to complain then they may change their practice.

I think they think that we're stupid and won't notice what they're doing to try to make their profits.

If we tell them, they need to change or we will stop buying from them, then it may get their attention.

I will gladly buy from another fabric source until JoAnn's change their practices. Everytime I hear or read, of this practice at their stores it makes me not want to shop there.

Voice your opinions with the store managers and with the corporate management and maybe they'll stop trying to trick us.

Pam M

I have learned to take the good with the ... not so good with them. I just don't have the expectation that I will always be on the winning side of the deal, I suppose if I/we were they could not continue to be in business.
    Companies change there business models when the consumer speaks to them in the language they understand....
    $$$$.

What I do is when I get to the fabric counter before they even cut I have them tell me which ones are on sale and which are not so I know if any of my coupons can be used.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    What I do is when I get to the fabric counter before they even cut I have them tell me which ones are on sale and which are not so I know if any of my coupons can be used.
    That is what I do @ both stores . I just say "well since my coupons are no good I don't wont that piece" I have been know to just walk out w/ nothing. Then i won't go back for a while but out lsq are very thin here.

According to corporate insist that they give you the coupon off if there is no sign saying on sale at the display. They don't want it coming back to them from management above, Hopefully all will stand up and demand the manager honors the coupon if they do not have a sale price posted. If we are passive and pay whatever they say they're happy and think we are stupid.

Thanks for all this wonderful advice of which I will be using.

Blog Entries
    This weekend I went to use a 50% off any 1 cut of fabric coupon. On the coupon it said "Any by the yard merchandise at regular price". I asked them if I could use it for batting by the yard, but she said no, because the cash register picks up the batting as polyester rolls and won't give the discount. Then she said they have a "style book" for $2.99 with 2 50% off and 4 40% off coupons on the back page that are off any merchandise at regular price. So, my DH and I bought a whole carton of Warm & White and saved $260!!! WOW!! I am thrilled, and have enough batting for about 3 years!! :-) (thumbs up!!!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by milp04
    Well, JoAnns has new owner management. I would suggest that we all complain to each store's managers and then also either email and call the corporate office to voice our complaints. When they have to keep spending time on the phone to hear our complaints and how many phone calls are calling to complain then they may change their practice.

I think they think that we're stupid and won't notice what they're doing to try to make their profits.

If we tell them, they need to change or we will stop buying from them, then it may get their attention.

I will gladly buy from another fabric source until JoAnn's change their practices. Everytime I hear or read, of this practice at their stores it makes me not want to shop there.

Voice your opinions with the store managers and with the corporate management and maybe they'll stop trying to trick us.

Pam M
    Since the change in ownership, I think JoAnn's is more sensitive to customer service issues. There may be policies/problems from the old management that are not readily apparent to the new until the problem rears its ugly head.

From my recent emails to the company, I have found it quite responsive to my inquiries about JoAnn's policies.

One time I wrote about the condition of the restroom. A manager emailed with a positive response to my email. Two weeks later I returned to JoAnn's and found the restroom had been repainted and thoroughly cleaned.

Companies go to research agencies about customer buying habits. We as customers need to let companies know what our expectations and desires are.

They opened a new JoAnns in here, I've been there a few times each experience was worse than the first. They are the most disorganized store, it takes forever to get someone to cut fabric and I asked a clerk where the quilt batting was and he didn't know what quilt batting was. I went to hobby lobby today and prayed they had what I was looking for so I wouldn't have to go to JoAnn's

Support your local quilt shop! That's what I plan to do from now on, even if it does cost a little more.