Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Bias binding wrong

Blog Entries

Bias binding wrong

A while ago I saw a tute (here I think) where I folded a square of fabric into a triangle . Then folded that triangle into another triangle till I got a manageable size. Then cut into bias strips. Sewed the strips together making one long bias strip. I used a striped fabric. Half my stripes ran on angle from left to right and the other runs runs right to left. I don't think it was supposed to do that. Anyone know what that type of bias binding is called. I'm trying to find that tute to re-fresh how I'm supposed to do it. I'm sure I'm missing a step or two.
    True4uca

Blog Entries
    This was just discussed earlier today, maybe something there will help you.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...g-t272510.html

Blog Entries
    I think the method I know would run stripes in different directions. Will keep watching this thread for another method.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    I don't know about that method, but I think Bonnie Hunter's method would work for stripes.

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2011/...-bindings.html

Blog Entries
    It's the same problem you have with HSTs made with stripes or directional prints from squares. Half go one way, half go the other. YOu need to cut the strips individually from unjoined fabric, then be careful when you seam the strips together.
    Last edited by PaperPrincess; 11-23-2015 at 05:21 AM.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

When working with stripes you have to do the fabric 1 layer at a time
    Crashnquilt

Wouldn't you like to live with my mind just for a moment? I wish you would, I think I need to get OUT OF IT!

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    It's the same problem you have with HSTs made with stripes or directional prints from squares. Half go one way, half go the other. You need to cut the strips individually from unjoined fabric, then be careful when you seam the strips together.
    I agree. Also learned this the hard way. Be sure to starch you fabric before cutting.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
    A while ago I saw a tute (here I think) where I folded a square of fabric into a triangle . Then folded that triangle into another triangle till I got a manageable size. Then cut into bias strips. Sewed the strips together making one long bias strip. I used a striped fabric. Half my stripes ran on angle from left to right and the other runs runs right to left. I don't think it was supposed to do that. Anyone know what that type of bias binding is called. I'm trying to find that tute to re-fresh how I'm supposed to do it. I'm sure I'm missing a step or two.
    Dear true4uca,
    I have directions for this method and use it all the time. pm me and I can e-mail you the directions if you want.

I have used the method that Peckish referred to for striped bias binding and it worked perfectly. It is on the McCall's quilting site. Just follow her link. It seemed almost magical to me that you can get that much binding from that size fabric square. Fun to do! Well just follow the link in the link she gave!

This is how I learned to cut bias binding. Love this designer and her blog...https://ankastreasures.wordpress.com...t-binding-tip/

I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
    I don't know about that method, but I think Bonnie Hunter's method would work for stripes.

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2011/...-bindings.html
    I've always used the offset way of sewing the seams of the rectangle (once the triangle has been cut from one end, and applied to the other), but I like Bonnie Hunter's way of getting the TRUE bias. I think it would be faster in the long run too. Thanks, katier825!
    C9P aka Jan

Blog Entries
    The method I use is very similar to Bonnie's.

On your already-cut-wrong-direction striped binding, can you put all the left handed together, the right handed together, and make the direction change hit at opposite corners?

what I do is exactly what Bonnie Hunter does - that is the way I learned to make yards and yards of bias for cording trim for furniture. BTw - if you want stripes to all lean the same way (and not change direction at corners) you do have to cut some the other way, so you want to start with two rectangles (one for each) and have the angles going opposite each other.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris P View Post
    This is how I learned to cut bias binding. Love this designer and her blog...https://ankastreasures.wordpress.com...t-binding-tip/
    I have tried binding ends for so long that I'm just about to give up. Then I clicked on this link and it's the best one I ever saw. It all makes sense now. Thank you, Kris, for that link.
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

Blog Entries
    Georgia Bonesteel (from many years ago) had a method for continuous binding. I use it exclusively. Have never tried to Google her, since I have her books. Something to try.
    Ruth

Blog Entries
    This is what I did. First I thought I'd just buy more fabric cut it the same way and get two lots of right slanted & two lots of left slanted binding. Of course there was no more of that fabric left. I didn't really want all of that binding. Probably only the quilting police will notice. Sadly she takes care of our donation quilts.
    Will check out that Bonnie Hunter link.
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltmouse View Post
    The method I use is very similar to Bonnie's.

On your already-cut-wrong-direction striped binding, can you put all the left handed together, the right handed together, and make the direction change hit at opposite corners?
    True4uca