Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: bias star

Blog Entries

Question bias star

Any ideas how to make the "star portion" of this 9" block without having to deal with bias?Name:  Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 1.57.44 PM.png
Views: 419
Size:  22.2 KB

The only way to do that would be to paper piece. That is a 60* triangle so there's no way to cut without at least two edges being bias.

Blog Entries
    that's a triangle in a square block. You need a tri recs ruler set, not a 60 degree ruler. The set comes with instructions on cutting the pieces from strips, resulting in a square patch on the straight of grain, however, there's no way to avoid a bias seam on the triangle part.
    Here's a good video:
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...ideo__D26.html
    Last edited by PaperPrincess; 05-16-2015 at 11:04 AM.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Eleanor Burns also has a ruler set that makes these very easy and I didn't find the bias to be a bad issue. You actually make the block a little larger and then trim it down so it is easy to trim back to straight.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by wesing View Post
    The only way to do that would be to paper piece. That is a 60* triangle so there's no way to cut without at least two edges being bias.
    A lot of people make that assumption - but the angles are different in the triangle in a square unit.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    You CAN 'snowball' a block section like this, but the shape you use is more like a kite than a true square.
    The graphic below, drawn for another project, may give you some ideas of how to do this.

Jan in VA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

EB has this block and details on how to make it in her 25th Anniversary Still Stripping book. If she doesn't know an easier way, then there isn't any. I used a set of Tri Rec rulers.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    For me - just cut accurately - mark the seam intersections - pin together - and sew - has been about the only way I've managed to sew that unit.

Blog Entries
    Thank you all. I love checking with other quilters to figure out what I am doing...I seem to have forgotten so many of the techniques I have done over the years

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by wesing View Post
    The angles in the "triangle in a square" unit are:

Side triangles: 90 degree corners, the other two angles are approximately 26.565 and 63.435 degrees.
    Center triangle: The angles are approximately: 63.435, 63.435, and 52.870 degrees.

Although paper piecing isn't the "only" way.....it sure would be my method of choice.
    Alternatively....i would do it flying geese fashion, lightly drawing the stitch line and using 2 (blue) rectangles.... which i would then trim away......remember the 1/4" overlap at the point for the seam allowance.
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
    Although paper piecing isn't the "only" way.....it sure would be my method of choice.
    Alternatively....i would do it flying geese fashion, lightly drawing the stitch line and using 2 (blue) rectangles.... which i would then trim away......remember the 1/4" overlap at the point for the seam allowance.
    Try it and see what happens!!!!

There is a way to offset the rectangle - and sewing diagonally - that does work - but when just putting the rectangle on like one would put a square on - that may not give you the result you are expecting.

That's the fifty-four forty or fight block ... one of my favorite blocks!!

QuiltersCache has good directions on how to piece it using traditional piecing methods with templates.

I've always made the triangle units paper pieced, then joined them to my traditionally pieced 4 patch blocks.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I found these quite easy to make, using my Tri Recs templates. It is a beautiful block, especially when set on point.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
    I found these quite easy to make, using my Tri Recs templates. It is a beautiful block, especially when set on point.
    I second that.....with the tri rec templates. Easy peasy!