Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bias Tape Maker >

Bias Tape Maker

Bias Tape Maker

Old 09-07-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by scraphq
Are your quilts straight sided? If so, why don't you use straight cuts for binding? Much less trouble. I prefer WOF for binding, but you might like LOF better. Try it, you'll like it, as they say. No need for bias unless your quilts have curved edges.
Yep, i just found that out! OK now for my second dumb question for the day! (Really not only the second, but on here it is)

:D What is WOF and LOF I can guess it means width of fabric or length of fabric! See how fast I am learning.... I think I need to post on here more!
Old 09-07-2011, 03:43 PM

I thought if I checked on the terms of use I would find what all the terms mean... not! so where do I find out what the abrevations mean?? (I know for you keeping track that makes question #3)
Old 09-07-2011, 03:49 PM
dd

So why does cutting the same fabric on the bias make it last longer than on the straight of grain? I don't understand that one.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

I have the Simplicity bias maker that is electric. I have the tip the makes the 2/1/2" straight fold binding which makes double fold when sewn on the quilt. It's fast and super easy to use. I have several boxes of read made bindings in basic colors and scrappy. No more having to stand at the ironing board!
Old 09-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lori S
I really like the non-mechanical simple bias tape makers that Clover has .. simple .. effective .. and inexpensive .. they come in many sizes. They do have them at JoAnn's.
http://www.clover-usa.com/product/26...as_Tape_Makers
This is what I use and I have been very pleased with them. BrendaK
Old 09-07-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by dd
So why does cutting the same fabric on the bias make it last longer than on the straight of grain? I don't understand that one.
If the quilt lover wears a hole somewhere on the binding.....
Bias binding does not unravel if it frays - easier to darn. On the other hand straight binding would unravel and 'split' from one end to the other with little encouragement - would probably have to be replaced.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dd
The theory is that with the bias cut on the straight of grain, the wear is concentrated on a couple of threads that run along the edge of the binding. If one of these threads is damaged at one point, it could be compromised along its entire length. With the binding cut on the bias, each individual thread in the fabric runs through the binding strip only a short distance and if damaged will not cause the entire binding to be compromised. There are still pro's and con's about using bias binding (unless you have a curved quilt edge, and then you need it).

oops...I see that glassquilt already answered the question while I was thinking of how to explain it.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by marytoddliz
HELP.........

Does any one have a Bias tape maker? What is your opinion of it? Are they expensive?

I am making on average 6 quilts a month and I have made my own Bias tape from fabric; marking on it, making a tube, a real pain!

And I have spent way to much money on premade, I live in the mtns and either buy it here and it is expensive or have to wait(I am really not good at waiting) to go down into the valley, where it is hot and crowded and one trip down the hill means a whole day away from my sewing machine. (Plus I always spend a lot more money than I should on more fabric, that I really don't need (according to my husband that is) ;-)

So I am thinking I might want to buy a maker??? or at the very least find a good supplier online!

I've got as cheap metal fabric folding thingy that cost next to nothing and I love making bias tape with it. In fact, I've got a couple sizes.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Banned

The theory is that if you use straght grain binding then the thread on the fold wears out quicker. If you have bias then you have cross threads that won't wear as quickly and is stronger.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by marytoddliz
Originally Posted by tinliz
Is there some reason you do not want to double folded fabric on the grain line for binding? I use bias binding only if I want a special effect with stripes.
Thanks so much! All this time I have been using it and didn't have to!

I need to find the "Rules" LOL But at least this is a great place to come and ask!
LOL, no rule. Just simplicity and speed and ease!