Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bias Tape Makers >

Bias Tape Makers

Bias Tape Makers

Old 11-15-2010, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by winia
I do have the small ones that you put the fabric in one end and it comes out the other the way bias binding looks, and you just follow it with the iron. I use those, they work very, very well, and they are not expensive. You can also buy them in different sizes. Whatever size you use for your binding, you can get one that will work for you.
This is how I do it. They cost a few bucks and work great. I don't know why you'd do it any other way.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
I've been looking into buying one of those bias tape makers. Making bias tape takes me forever to make because I can't just take the strip and iron it...I have to pin the edges together before ironing or sewing because if I don't I end up shifting the edges somehow (I envy quilters who can just whip something through their sewing machine and not pin the pieces together).

Anyways, I want to get a bias tape maker to maybe make the process a little easier and faster, but worry that I'll be buying a notion that is a waste of money. Would you recommend a bias tape maker to a quilter (who probably puts in as much time into the binding as the blocks in the quilt)? If so, what one would you recommend?
I have the Simplicity bias tape maker and it works just fine. It takes a little practice but once you have the hang of it, you can go pretty fast!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:24 PM

Just found a couple at a yard sale Clovers for 1.50 each 1/2 and 1 inch. Did let the seller know they would be going to a good home as they were her Mom's
Old 11-15-2010, 08:57 PM

I have one and I don't know what I would do with out it. I do so many small blankets for our area shelters and it makes so much difference in time. Use a coupon from JoAnn's and it helps alot on the price. Well worth the bucks. lor6209
Old 11-15-2010, 11:16 PM

i also use the clover, 1/2", 1/4", and 1/8". I love mine and find the very easy to use.

Wow, I see why you want a bias maker. I do a little stain glass quilting, but mostly use it for stems and branches. They weren't very much with the coupon from Joanne's.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:12 AM

The Clover ones Minda suggested are great.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:43 PM

I've used these and they are great. Just remember to spray starch your strip well.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
I've been looking into buying one of those bias tape makers. Making bias tape takes me forever to make because I can't just take the strip and iron it...I have to pin the edges together before ironing or sewing because if I don't I end up shifting the edges somehow (I envy quilters who can just whip something through their sewing machine and not pin the pieces together).

Anyways, I want to get a bias tape maker to maybe make the process a little easier and faster, but worry that I'll be buying a notion that is a waste of money. Would you recommend a bias tape maker to a quilter (who probably puts in as much time into the binding as the blocks in the quilt)? If so, what one would you recommend?
Here's a simple choice---------look at the price of bias tape in the store then look at the price for a bias tape maker.

I love mine. Almost went into DT's when I misplaced it once. Can't tell you the brand I have, but it's one of the standard sewing brands available anywhere.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:54 PM

oh, and buy a couple different sizes.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I've never used one but don't know if you mean the electric ones or the little plastic holders/folders. My current quilt has yards and yards of vine so I got one of those little plastic ones that you can also put the fusible tape on at the same time. Haven't used it yet but I really hope it works well.
I've got two, both metal.