Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bias versus striaght cut quilt binding >

Bias versus striaght cut quilt binding

Bias versus striaght cut quilt binding

Old 02-12-2012, 05:51 AM

I prefer straight binding. I only use bias binding on striped fabrics because I like the stripes to be on the diagonal.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

It's a personal choice decision. I use bias only on curves and scallops or for a special effect (stripes/plaid). On all other quilts I do straight of grain because it's easier and my quilt edge is straighter. I don't know if judges actually study the edge to check for bias threads. I do know they look for straight edges, good mitre corners (with the mitres sewn) and good, even, invisible hand stitching on the back.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:13 AM

Binding is a quilter's personal choice. I like bias bindings and cut mine at 2.5 wide for cottons and 3.0 for flannels or fleece. My friend would say a straight edge binding is just fine and cut hers 2.0 inches for cotton and 2.5 for flannel. There is no "right" for binding. It's your quilt so bind it your way. My MIL who is now 88 years old has always used the back (cut 1.5 inches wider than the front) folded it over to the front and top stitched it down. Those quilts have lasted for years through frequent washings. She figures by the time the binding is worn out, the rest of the quilt will be too. This logic works for me.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:09 AM

I use straight binding on straight edge quilts. I usse bias binding on quilts with curves or if im using a plaid that i want the look of plaid on the bias.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:23 PM

I usually use bias binding because it can help me pull "ruffled" border edges into shape - I just apply a little traction to the binding as I'm sewing a problem area and the edge lies flat when the binding is sewn to the back. I've also heard that it wears better and that makes sense.

A few times, the only suitable fabric for binding is in the strips trimmed from the quilt after quilting, so I use the lengthwise and cross-grain strips to make straight bindings. Really, it's up to you - whatever you like to do.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:22 PM

I just did a baby quilt and used bias binding, mainly because I rounded the corners. Usually I just cut straight strips. I gotta be honest, putting the bias binding on was a breeze! I love how it seemed to hug the edge of the quilt and it seemed like it was easier to pull it to the back. I think I will try the bias binding the next straight edge quilt I make and see if I like it better than straight binding. I also used the Clover binding clips for the first time and they are wonderful! Don't know if they helped because it was bias binding but I LOVED not getting poked everywhere with pins!!
Old 02-13-2012, 01:21 AM

Nice to hear from all of you, great opinions. I hadn't done a bias binding in years, I ususally take the back and pull it over to the top and stitch. Have done that for 40 years. I was reading someones blog, well several and they keep saying the bias is best. It may be the best, but took me a while to make it and sew it on, the other way is much faster and easier on my hands so I think I am going straight or folded over unless it is curved. I loved reading how you all do things. Thanks