Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Big Board ironing board >

Big Board ironing board

Big Board ironing board

Old 11-19-2010, 09:54 PM

Anyone here have the Big Board ironing board? I have an over-sized ironing board now and understand that I would need to call them with measurements and get a quote to fit it. What I am wondering is if it would easier and/or more cost effective to simply buy a normal size board and order the regular Big Board.

I know it is fairly simple to make your own... IF you have the space to do it, and the tools, (and the mechanical know-how) but in our tiny apt, there is no room to do wood work of any sort. When you add in the expense of buying saw, staple gun, and whatever else might be needed for a one time build, it seems better to order one.

Looking forward to reading comments to this :-D
Sorcha
Old 11-19-2010, 10:07 PM

You can get a Big Board that fits the larger ironing boards. I got one at www.allbrands.com
Old 11-19-2010, 10:39 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Sorcha,
I use my Big Board right on a table surface; I feel like most ironing boards are wobbly, and worse so with the Big Board topper which is heavy.

With no "tools", you could easily make a big ironing surface with just a piece of plywood from Lowes -- they will actually cut it the size you want for a small fee -- and cover it with batting then flannel or ironing board fabric from Joannnes, where it's on sale right now. http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd10219

Use staples, or bulldog clamps, or duct tape to hold it all down - that way you can change it as needed for washing, or burned spots, or whatever. For storage it would also fit more easily under a bed, against the closet wall, behind a large piece of furniture, than the Big Board.

Jan in VA
Old 11-19-2010, 11:05 PM

I won a big board at this years local shophop. I put it on top of my gram's old sewing cabinet and it works great!!! Nice and stable. I didn't think I wanted it and tried to give it away! LOL Sure glad I didn't. I love it.

Sadly I scarred it. My iron has auto shut off and of course in the middle of something it shut off so I laid it down and turned away to do something and didn't get back soon enough and now it has this nice brown iron shape in the middle of the beautiful white cover :( Oh well. It still works!