Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
big learning experience/need opinions on how to quilt this >

big learning experience/need opinions on how to quilt this

big learning experience/need opinions on how to quilt this

Old 09-12-2009, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ninnie

I get the green quilter's tape, which is 1/4 in, and use it. It makes your work go so much faster , and you don't have to worry about your quilting lines being straight. I don't do a lot of this, but with flying geese, I think it adds something.
I use 1/4" painters tape. DH works a second job at a NAPA and brings me home rolls of it and other sizes.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:54 AM

Love it just the way it is, I won't change a thing.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:09 AM

Another vote for an all-over meander or SID quilting - any fancy patterns of quilting will get lost in the Dutchman blocks anyway.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:16 AM

It's beautiful. As for the borders, I would measure the geese borders and then cut the green inner border to match up with that measurement. Does that make sense? I don't know if I explained that right.

As for the quilting, I would maybe do stippling with a variegated thread.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Lovely quilt. I'm a little confused about your border delimma. Are you saying once you put the pieced border on you think you will cut off one of the triangles? Sometimes that can be fixed by just taking in a seam here and there.

Regarding quilting... You say it is for your 3 year old son but is this going to be a utility quilt or a wall hanging? If utility, you may want to reconsider and machine quilt just for the added strength, tots are tough on stuff and if this becomes a favorite binkie it will be hauled around with him everywhere and probably converted into a super-hero's cape on occasion :lol: .
If that is an option I liked Blue's idea of an all over meander (aka stipple). The quilt's peicing is what you want to shine and the meander won't take away from that. If you are bound and determined to hand quilt I would do a single 1/4" echo inside every triangle in the quilt and again in the border, IOW quilt a 1/4" from every seam in the piecing.
I was having a rough time figuring out how to best describe my dilemma, but I think you got the gyst of it. The plan for the border is to have solid blue cornerstones. Those cornerstones should come out to be 3" square when finished. With the pieced borders as is, the cornerstones will come out as 2-2 1/2 " square. I think this will look out of place because all the other measurements of the quilt (geese depth, green border) are based on 3". Okay, I may have just confused the issue more. :-) Basically, your suggestion of taking in seams is exactly what I need to do. Unfortunately, it has to be done on nearly every border goose to make it line up right. I'm fine with that and glad I've only pieced one line so far. The other three sides of the pieced border haven't been sewn together yet so it will be easy to trim those, then stitch together, then cross my fingers that it's right! Whew!

The finished quilt will be 60"x72" and will be a coverlet for my son's bed. He's very excited and really loves it so far. :D My 5 year old already has one on his bed (my avatar is a picture of his). Both boys are very respectful of it and we'll expect that to continue with this new one. My machine is a basic Kenmore and is difficult to do more than a baby size on for machine quilting. Since this current one is one I'm hoping he'll have forever, I really want to devote the time to hand-stitching it. I'll be making them their own kid-sized lap quilts for Christmas and will machine-stitch those so they last better under rough and tumble.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 09-12-2009, 09:28 AM

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions. I like the idea of variegated thread for stippling. Is it hard to stipple when hand-quilting? It sounds a bit intimidating to me, but I'm game to try new things.

I also like the idea of stitching in 1/4" from the seams. It would highlight the geese better. What should I do for thread color? Would it be best to try to match each fabric color so all the thread blends right in ? Hmmm . . .
Old 09-12-2009, 09:29 AM

For your borders - Do you know the trick of putting the too long piece (the border) on the bottom when sewing it to the quilt? If it is only 1/2" off, I'd bet you can ease that in if you sew it that way. The machine takes the bottom fabric through at a quicker rate than the top. You would do well to find the center of each and pin there, then pin at equal distances along the length, so that you are easing evenly. That is a trick that has saved me often. I will do that even with small sections within the quilt, any piece that is slightly longer always goes on the bottom. Sorry to be so long winded, especially if you already know all this! As far as the quilting goes, I am a hand quilter, I love it, but for a childs quilt that will be well used and loved, and washed a lot, I would machine quilt it. If you do end up hand quilting it, I agree that outline quilting would look great. You could outline each piece, or just the large triangles of each "goose". Great quilt!
Old 09-12-2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by roselady
For your borders - Do you know the trick of putting the too long piece (the border) on the bottom when sewing it to the quilt? If it is only 1/2" off, I'd bet you can ease that in if you sew it that way. The machine takes the bottom fabric through at a quicker rate than the top. You would do well to find the center of each and pin there, then pin at equal distances along the length, so that you are easing evenly. That is a trick that has saved me often. I will do that even with small sections within the quilt, any piece that is slightly longer always goes on the bottom. Sorry to be so long winded, especially if you already know all this! As far as the quilting goes, I am a hand quilter, I love it, but for a childs quilt that will be well used and loved, and washed a lot, I would machine quilt it. If you do end up hand quilting it, I agree that outline quilting would look great. You could outline each piece, or just the large triangles of each "goose". Great quilt!
Thanks for the tip. I didn't officially know this, but kind of figured it out when piecing the rows together. I pinned the life out of this thing! :lol: I may see how the borders work out with that.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:17 PM

OK here's my thought.......your son loves it so far. He will continue to love it even if the cornerstones are off a bit. Take a deep breath and finish the quilt with whatever suggestion has been given that stresses you the least.

I'm pretty sure your son and his friends won't be in his room measuring cornerstones. He will put it on his bed and love it because it came from you. Wonky cornerstones won't show under the Legos, Tonka trucks, books, etc. that are on every little boy's bed.

I'd be delighted to have a quilt as far along and looking as nice as you do. Be proud.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
OK here's my thought.......your son loves it so far. He will continue to love it even if the cornerstones are off a bit. Take a deep breath and finish the quilt with whatever suggestion has been given that stresses you the least.

I'm pretty sure your son and his friends won't be in his room measuring cornerstones. He will put it on his bed and love it because it came from you. Wonky cornerstones won't show under the Legos, Tonka trucks, books, etc. that are on every little boy's bed.

I'd be delighted to have a quilt as far along and looking as nice as you do. Be proud.
Thanks Lisa. You make me smile. :lol: I'm of the attitude today that I CAN take on this challenge and WIN!! :twisted: I appreciate the boost of confidence!