Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Big stitch quilting over a LOT of seams? >

Big stitch quilting over a LOT of seams?

Big stitch quilting over a LOT of seams?

Old 04-27-2014, 01:18 PM

Default Big stitch quilting over a LOT of seams?

Hello all... several years ago I finished a quilt top for my son that has a lot... a LOT of seams in it.... think log cabin (lots of seams)... I've thought it would be too hard to hand quilt with all those seams, and I want it to be custom quilted. I'm on a waiting list for a really good machine quilter in our area. But I think I would really like to quilt this using big stitch quilting. I think I want to do large concentric circles...but what do you think about going over all those seams? Please help me decide?
Old 04-27-2014, 01:45 PM

Sandwich a bit of it and try it. If it isn't too bad, then do it. The big stitch quilting will definitely be pretty and the concentric circles will be a nice contrast with any linear geometric design.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:57 PM

I would go for it. The odds of hitting the seams are at worst about 1 in 4 overall if you figure 1" finished pieces and a 1/4" seam allowance. Chances are your pieces are larger than that so the amount of seams to stitch through would be less.
Rodney
Old 04-27-2014, 05:54 PM

What is big stitch quilting
Old 04-27-2014, 06:16 PM

Most hand quilting aims for 10 to 12 stitches per inch. Big stitch quilting used a larger thread and stitches are more like 4 per inch. It gives your quilting a bold decorative effect similar to sashiko. The downside is you're pushing a larger needle and thread thru all the layers so more effort is needed per stitch.
Rodney
Old 04-27-2014, 06:46 PM

I am doing a big stitch quilt right now. Most of the quilting is 1/4" from the seams, which means I can follow the seam allowance line and am not stitching through many layers. However, I pieced the backing with many seams. In those areas I do a poke and pull method, and it is working fine. I am using wool batting, and that probably helps to make things easier.

Good luck with your project. I think you will be happy if you decide to do the "big stitch".
Old 04-28-2014, 04:08 AM

I hand quilted a log cabin a couple of years ago using different size stars and the quilting motif. Did not have an issue with all of the seams and was doing traditional hand quilting vs big stitch. Did not make it a point to place the stars so as to not hit seams just put them where I wanted. I don't think you'll have an issue with the circles/seams regardless if you do traditional or big stitch hand quilting.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

you could always do the stab stitch in those areas. where you stab down with your needle, pull completely through, then reach under and stab back up again. over and over until you can rock your big stitch again. Good luck.