Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Binding advice please

I learned more in the few minutes it took to watch Sharon Schamber's you tube video than in 15 years of quilting before then. It is not hard. You just need to pay attention (or I do!)

Quote Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
    It took me a few tries to get binding but once I figured it out, I don't usually have too much trouble. I say usually because twice this weekend I sewed my binding in the wrong direction! Check on youtube, there are several videos showing you how to do binding. I had some trouble with the double fold binding I purchased when I first started, it was so stiff I had a hard time sewing with it. That's actually why I started making my own. There are probably some tutorials on this site as well. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
    I agree with the statement about the quality of purchased binding. You will get a better quality product if you can make your own binding. Unless it is going on a curved edge, and it doesn't sound like it is, you DON'T have to make a bias binding. I cut 2 1/8" or 2 1/4" , depending on how thick my quilt is, and make the double fold binding from that. You have a whole lot more control over the colors and designs you can use, and it is much better quality.

I was so frustrated with binding and mitered corners that I used to round off my corners and use bias binding since it's one pass and you're done...none of the fiddling at the corners. I thought I had read enough and tried many times to make it work, but miters never looked like they were supposed to.
    There was one tiny thing that was never illustrated enough for me to "get it": When you get to a corner that you plan to miter, you stop stitching 1/4 inch before the end, secure the stitching and cut the threads to fold the binding to make the miter. Pin the folds or secure however is comfortable for you and put the piece back under the needle. Begin sewing at the beginning, NOT 1/4 INCH AWAY FROM THE BEGINNING. It sounds really silly for me to sit here and tell you how many times I started stitching 1/4 inch in and could not figure out why my supposed-to-be mitered corners were a big jumbly mess. One day I "forgot" and sewed from the beginning and nearly had a heart attack as I turned my binding over....It was perfect.
    It's not really difficult once you work out your own system. And the effect it adds is worth a little extra work.
    Good luck to you!
    "And I guess I might have made a few mistakes.
    But maybe that's exactly what it takes.
    To get a little happy in this big sad world..."
    ​One Line Wonder, The Avett Brothers

Thanks for the link. It is very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nycquilter View Post
    I learned more in the few minutes it took to watch Sharon Schamber's you tube video than in 15 years of quilting before then. It is not hard. You just need to pay attention (or I do!)
    Once I started using this method WITH the Elmer's glue, I have not had any problems completing my quilts.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Originally from Hialeah Fl. Now in the Seattle area
    Blog Entries
    I usually do a thing called " Magic Strip Binding ". It's easy and you do it all by machine and only go around the quilt twice. Send me an e-mail and I'll send you a copy of the instructions. [email protected]

I watched several tutorials on YouTube for binding They helped me a lot, especially the ones by Jenny Doan. She does great tutorials about many different dealing with quilting. Just search for binding and you will find many to view.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2