Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding all by machine >

Binding all by machine

Binding all by machine

Old 08-26-2019, 06:38 AM

I almost always machine stitch my bindings. While I truly admire all those who hand sew, I do not have the time or patience to do it. And, I almost always use a decorative stitch when I attach it to the front. Depending on the top, I might use a matching thread, a contrast or even a variegated thread. This can give it a bit of an extra touch, but it also solves the problem of what it looks like on the back. BTW - I use a 2 1/5" strip.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I also sew my binding on the back, flip to the front, and then secure it down with a topstitch close to the edge. So fast and I don't need a single pin! Looks good too.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana View Post
I sew on the back with a 3/16" seam (half way between 1/4" and 3/8" on your sewing machine plate) using a 2 1/2" strip folded in half, then top stitch with a blind hem foot, or a foot that has a center guide, moving my needle slightly to the left of the fold. It makes the top binding wider than the back, so that if your bobbin thread matches the quilting, it blends into the back and looks like part of the quilting. I always do this for utility quilts: kids and charity, to ensure durability.
I use the machine and set the seam width in a similar fashion. The binding is almost in a perfect half. If I use the 1/4 inch seam, there is too much binding on one side.

I also sew on the back of the quilt first and bring to the front. Easier to see where the stitching line will be.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:09 AM

I prefer hand-sewn bindings. I machine stitch it to the front and fold over. I don't mind the handwork and I do it at night instead of watching television. I could never stitch it from the back where it satisfied me.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:19 AM

The Martelli Binding System. It stitches in the ditch on the front and sews a perfectly straight line on the back. There is a learning curve though, but great results.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Hands down, the faux flange method. It is the only method I will do when binding by machine. But I do modify it to end up with a 2 1/4" strip instead of 2 1/2"

https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/quick-machine-binding-flange-t77821.html
Well how did you know that I'm just getting ready to try this method for the first time? Thanks for providing the link to the tutorial!
Old 08-26-2019, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I also sew my binding on the back, flip to the front, and then secure it down with a topstitch close to the edge. So fast and I don't need a single pin! Looks good too.

This is also how I do it. Since Ive learned to bind by machine its the only way for me now.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee View Post
This is also how I do it. Since Ive learned to bind by machine its the only way for me now.
I use 2.5 binding stitching down on back first....then machine stitch it down using a serpentine stitch which I adjust with both the stitch length and width....I have learned where to line up my stitching on my presser foot (usually my walking foot) so that it looks nice on the front and seldom do stitches go off the binding in the back...need to be a bit more careful at the mitered corners....I love the hand stitching but I have too many quilts and stash left to get done.....I would have to live to about 207 to get it all stitched up.....