Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding bags... >

Binding bags...

Binding bags...

Old 08-11-2012, 05:50 AM

this is genius! why don't i think of this stuff! thank you for sharing that little tid bit.

Originally Posted by Julie in NM View Post
Came up with this idea about 3 quilts ago. Binding was getting all tangled up as I was sewing it and if I wasn't careful, the binding would get stuck in the wheels of my sewing chair.

So I took one of the plastic grocery bags, taped it to the edge of my sewing table, tossed in the binding. No more tangles. Off the floor so dust bunnies if they come to visit can't attack. Left over binding stays in there so if I want a scrappy binding, I have interesting odds and ends to use.

Just an idea.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
Hey, don't knock it - I use the empty tissue box, too. Works great!
this is my favorite method too.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
Yesterday I used one of my large stainless steel dog bowls. As I ironed the binding it fell into the bowl then I took it to the sewing machine where I placed it on the floor. Worked perfectly, but SuzyQ, my oldest dog, checked it twice to see if it was full of food.
If I used the kitties dish, my female would probably try to eat it. She is supposed to be on a diet, but I think she is eating her brother's share and he is the one losing. He needs to lose too.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:45 AM

I went and bought the plastic big jar with the cheese puffs in it. The kids ate the cheese puffs I washed the container and my husband cut a slit in the lid about 1/4 inch wide or smaller and about 3" long then I take the container and place it under my ironing board and when I am ironing the piece is going directly into the container, then I put the lid on and bring the binding up through the hole (no rolling) and go to my machine to sew it on. It comes out smoothly and it isn't all over the floor and I am not chocking (?? doesnt look right) myself with a spool around my neck. If I have binding left over I just leave it in the container in case I have something else to bind or want to use it for other things.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:39 PM

I use a plastic bag. It keeps dog hairs off.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:13 AM

I like it. I have three bindings to do and I am going to try it out. Maybe the cats won'tt play witth the "tail" like usual
Old 08-12-2012, 06:39 AM

Great ideas! I have a queen size quilt to bind in a couple of weeks. I'm so glad I caught this thread.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 View Post
My solution was to make the binding, roll it up on an empty paper towel cardboard, then place the roll on an old stand-up paper towel holder. This sits on the sewing table to the right of my machine. The binding rolls off only when I pull off what I need when sewing on the binding.
Wow, this is exactly what I do and also roll it on the empty paper towel holder....great minds think alike!! LOL! I'm also using those wonderful clips to hold the binding on the quilt, as I was constantly getting stuck with pins.