Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Binding a circle

Another help is to use your walking foot when attaching the binding. Also sliding a wire inside the binding (with a buttonhole so it could be remove foe cleaning) would give the circle body. The piece is just beautiful! :lol:

In one of my books, the lady had a really odd ( but cool) curvy shape to one of her wall hangings...She had attached the whole thing to foamcore board= easily hung- kept its shape - and able to prop it , say on a fire place mantel instead of hanging - easily moved to diff locations..I thought it was pretty cool

Maybe you could insert the template plastic

A beautiful work!

I made a cirlce bargello wall hanging and they actually tell you to put a sleeve in it that is rather large (abut 1/3 of the wall hanging) and put a piece of cardboard in it to keep it stiff. I did but it makes it tough to store. As for the binding, bias binding is the way to go. It will lay the best when finished, it has just the right amount of stretch for the curves.

Your wallhanging is beautiful. Bias binding would have enough give to it to let the hanging lay flat if you feel it needs to.

Blog Entries
    bias binding has to be used to go around any curves. straight binding is for straight sides. once you cut your bias binding it will bind just fine.

I didnt read the whole thread but I made a set of circles that became a wallhanging quilt. Use a bias binding and then I put the sleeve on with a blind hem stitch. I adjust the stitch so it just barely caught the front of the quilt and used a color in the bobbin that would blend as much as possible.

I did both the binding and the sleeve by machine.

I used one of those "magic" quilt hangers. The slight "bow" in the quilt went toward the back so the edges actually lay flat. It looks very nice. Nice enough to display in my clinic. I would put up a pic but I gave it to my mom after a few years.

Banned
    bias, carefully place and pin so it doesn't stretch while you are sewing down and then press from top to make it flatter and don't hand sew to tightly. I have done several circular pieces and you just have to go slow and let the binding lay naturally. Am sure some of this has been mentioned above but am in such a rush this morning getting ready to teach at a retreat that I don't have time to read al the advice already given.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2