Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding completely by machine? >

Binding completely by machine?

Binding completely by machine?

Old 11-24-2010, 10:34 PM

I sewed the binding on for the quilt I finished today. I have to admit, it looks pretty good, but I miss not being able to hand stitch it. I love hand stitching, it's the most relaxing thing I do. I just don't do it often cause I last only about 10 minutes, then it's lights out. I take a nap every time I hand stitch, whether it's quilting or sewing binding or sewing pieces. Works better and faster than any pm med I've ever tried! I truly believe that I can feel my pulse slow down and pressure drop. I used to bring hand work to the hospital to sit with mom just for this reason. I'd sew and chat with mom till one of us dozed off. If I spent the whole day, we might take 4-5 catnaps and I'd never quite finish the chore at hand!
Old 11-24-2010, 11:20 PM

Yes, fold the binding in half lengthwise, sew to the back, flip to the front and just bring the binding up to meet the stitching, not cover it, and straight stitch, Everything stays even that way, no puckers, no pins.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:48 PM

I always finish off with one of the decorative stitches from a modern machine since I hate to hand stitch. And sometimes I use one color thread for the top and a different color thread for the bottom. Last binding I did was the glue method that I read somewhere on this board.
I was very pleased with the way the binding turned out using the glue and iron method that I plan to use this method with all of my bindings.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:48 AM

I make what is called a Double Fold Binding, and I machine sew it to the back of the quilt first and then turn it over to the front of the quilt and machine sew it down. Turns out perfect.
I will use this for baby quilts, quilts for my bed or kids quilts. A wedding gift quilt I will do the hand method of sewing.
If a quilt is going to be washed alot or used alot I find the machine sewing holds up better. I know some people won't do a machine binding at all, but I know for judging, you can't use machine sewen binding on the front of a quilt.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Originally Posted by oatw13
Here is a pdf tutorial from Sharon Schamber. It shows machine stitching the binding and also the glue method for basting. I have found that if I use the glue method, I never miss the binding on the back.

She uses a zipper foot, but I just use a zig zag foot.

http://www.sharonschamber.com/free%2...ng%20Class.pdf

There are also videos on youtube of this method.
I can't get the link to show on my computer.
Try http://www.sharonschambernetwork.com/ Go to Free Classes and you'll find it under Piped Binding