Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: binding foot do u have one?

would like to know if they work o'k before i spend money for one. I think they sew on front and back at same time. any ideas or suggestions?

I had never heard of it until I looked it up. Warning: don't google "binding foot", you'll get gross images of human feet being bound.

Something like this, right?

http://www.newarkdress.com/mn39.html

Blog Entries
    Can't imagine that I would have enough control with a foot that is supposed to handle all those layers. Nope, I'm footlose and fancy free.

it is bias binding foot that does what i want thank u for link

I have used my regular stitch in the ditch foot for this.

I have started machine stitching the binding on charity quilts; I think I could use something like this. I will have do some checking, thank you for the info.
    I love to hand stitch the binding to the back, but for charity baby quilts I will go with the machine.

Anyone use one of these?

I've never used one but they are intriguing.

Blog Entries
    I just sew the binding onto the back of the quilt and then machine stitch it on the front with a decorative or blanket stitch.
    I have one of these feet, but the binding is very narrow, more for potholders and coasters IMHO.

Blog Entries
    You know I had to go Google..... it's akin to a song being stuck in my head all day.......

When I went to the big quilt show I asked about the binding foot and the lady at the booth for my machine said it wasnt good and dont buy one. She works for the company and says it dosnt work well.

Blog Entries
    I've had a couple. They require a lot of skill to use correctly. Most people find them pretty frustrating.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brushandthimble
    I have started machine stitching the binding on charity quilts; I think I could use something like this. I will have do some checking, thank you for the info.
    I love to hand stitch the binding to the back, but for charity baby quilts I will go with the machine.

Anyone use one of these?
    Instead of investing in a binding foot, I would recommend trying a form of "invisible" machine binding. It is demonstrated in this Youtube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprg5vzkuGw

I have a Pfaff bi-level foot which is amazing. It's still a 2 step process though. but the finish is much better than I could do with an ordinary foot. I love this foot and I've not bound anything by hand since I got this foot.

http://www.pfaffusa.com/5436_8394.html

Nope don't have one, and don't want one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gailmitchell
    I have a Pfaff bi-level foot which is amazing. It's still a 2 step process though. but the finish is much better than I could do with an ordinary foot. I love this foot and I've not bound anything by hand since I got this foot.

http://www.pfaffusa.com/5436_8394.html
    I also have found this foot to be very effective. For all Pfaff owners reading: do yourselves a favor and consider adding this foot to your arsenal.

I bought a cheap one years ago for sewing pre-packaged bias binding on things such as potholders, etc. It was supposed to sew all layers at one time, but I found it impossible to do a neat job ... stuff was slipping and sliding every which way; I assume doing a one-step quilt binding would be a real "Mission Impossible". I saw a professional quilter on t.v. several years ago who had a large, sophisticated and expensive piece of equipment for that, but it was not an item for the average home quilter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnan

I also have found this foot to be very effective. For all Pfaff owners reading: do yourselves a favor and consider adding this foot to your arsenal.
    How do you use it to attach binding?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter

How do you use it to attach binding?
    If you go to the link that gailmitchell posted to the Pfaff site, there is a link to a short video showing it in use.

I have one. I have only used it on satin binding, which is a pain in the neck anyways. I would not use the foot for satin binding again. I will be finishing another quilt soon, I'll let you know what I think of it with cotton binding.
    Thanks!

Last week I watched the Baby Lock serger lady (demonstrator) use the double fold binder on the Evolution serger and I was instantly sold on it.
    karen

great demo they make it look so easy ;)

Blog Entries
    i have the snap on foot that attaches to my Janome..it does ok until you get to the corners, then i have trouble with it..

i would not use it again.

i sew the front and back binding at the same time with a fancy stitch/walking foot.

I have one and I love it. You have to use it along with your walking foot. It takes a bit of practice to get everything together alright; kind of reminds me of when I first learned to drive cause you have to watch in front of your and watch to your right and left to make sure everything is coming together just right. I always hated binding and using bias strips 'cause I could never get it together right on the machine and ended up doing one edge totally by hand. Last Christmas I bought a generic one for my machine and I LOVE IT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pam1966
    I had never heard of it until I looked it up. Warning: don't google "binding foot", you'll get gross images of human feet being bound.

Something like this, right?

http://www.newarkdress.com/mn39.html
    I have used this foot and it works pretty well. There are also clips and a miter bar that work with this but that set is about double in cost. I haven't invested in that.
    Hand stitching is best if going in a show or the quilt is extra special.

I have the Martelli system & it is great for baby quilts or anything that is going to get a lot of washing. It certainly saves a lot of time & it comes with the mitering tools. Would not use it on an heirloom quilt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast