Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Binding With Glue

Blog Entries
    On other threads about this subject, the Sharon Schamers method is always mentioned.I'm NOT good at bindings & would try this method if I could be sure it wouldn't damage my machine.

Has anyone used glue for long enough to say it hasn't gummed up/damaged their machine? Maybe I should use my other machine ? If I can remember how.....

I love this method!!! I have done it many, many times and I have never had a problem.

I use regular white glue in a thin bead and I press it so it holds. I also let it sit for a bit so the glue is dry.

I have never had a needle break or had it gum up my needle.

I use this to machine stitch inthe ditch and I never miss the back side anymore!

Try it!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I've used the glue stick, Elmer's washable, and assorted iron-on interfacings and I have never had any problems. In the beginning it is easy to glob the glue on too thick, but that gets better with practice.

i use it on every quilt i make (over 6 years) and have never had a problem

Blog Entries
    I have never tried this but I am taking notes. thank you for the tip. :thumbup:

I've only done it once, but using this method my first ever binding was nearly perfect. I did have machine issues doing it, but that had nothing to do with the glue...I was just not thinking properly, lol.

Blog Entries
    I think I'll try it.

I use a UHU brand glue stick, and it works great!

Blog Entries
    Do you sew to front or back 1st, then stitch in ditch on other side.Do you use a quarter inch foot or marker to stitch in the ditch ? Thanks.I appreciate your sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by oatw13
    I love this method!!! I have done it many, many times and I have never had a problem.

I use regular white glue in a thin bead and I press it so it holds. I also let it sit for a bit so the glue is dry.

I have never had a needle break or had it gum up my needle.

I use this to machine stitch inthe ditch and I never miss the back side anymore!

Try it!

If you follow her directions correctly, your needle will never go through the glue. She applies it in the seam allowance and you should be sewing next to the glue but not in it. Good luck. I use it and always have great results.

Blog Entries
    Sharon uses Elmer's School Glue, and always washes it out afterwards (she says on her site that she generally soaks for about two hours before washing her quilts). She uses a very fine tip on the bottle to apply the glue, and then irons it to dry it quickly, which saves a lot of time.

Would not imagine doing bindings any other way!!!

I only use Elmer's School Glue with a fine tip applicator. I have never had it gum up a needle or machine. It washes out with ease. I swear that it is some type of starch product, but cannot prove it.

In fact, I "pin" with glue all the time. The little bit of extra stiffness has really helped improved the quality of my long seams (think borders).

I use Acid-Free Glue Stick and have never had a problem.