Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding and a great solution >

Binding and a great solution

Binding and a great solution

Old 12-28-2016, 01:59 PM

Default Binding and a great solution

I hate putting binding on....well, I have a solution to that problem. Been quilting for 30+ yrs.

Got this huge quilt done and started using my walking foot as usual. Of course, front went fine. I usually do the binging on the back first. So I used the foot and did not like how it turned out on front when stitching from back. Ripped that out. Then I used a felled foot. That went fine for a bit. Tore out again.
Finally I put on my "stitch in the ditch foot" and wow.....done within 30 min. So if you are like me....
use that "stitch in the ditch foot" when sewing it to back!

Avante Quilter!
Old 12-28-2016, 02:40 PM

My edge stitch foot is one of the ones I use the most. It's great for getting that nice straight line of stitching evenly along the edge of anything. I'm glad you discovered how great it is!
Old 12-28-2016, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

i use that foot, too. but i sew the binding to the back first. then, on the front, i place the stitch-in-the-ditch/ joining foot along the edge of the binding on front and move the needle to the right a few clicks. this gives me a straight line and an even distance from the edge of the binding
Old 12-28-2016, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

My walking foot comes with 3 plates. I attach the binding with the quarter inch plate, switch the plate & sew it down with the SITD plate. I also sew to the back first.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:50 PM

Wow, I never thought of using the SITD foot. Thanks, I've never been happy with my machine bindings. I usually sew to the front and hand stitch to the back. I may have to dig that foot out and give it a try.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:49 AM

That sounds like a wonderful solution and I'll have to give it a try on my next crib quilt...WAIT...what is a SID foot? I'm not sure I have one with my Janome.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:43 AM

I have never been happy with the way it looks when I put binding on and sew both the front and the back by machine. I hate to hand sew the binding. My solution is to make a faux piped binding. That is pretty much all I use on my quilts. It looks good and is easy. There are lots of youtube videos on how to make it.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:23 AM

I had never seen or heard of the faux piping binding. I did a search and WOW. I will never use traditional binding again. I learn so much from all of you. Thank you and Happy New Year.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
That sounds like a wonderful solution and I'll have to give it a try on my next crib quilt...WAIT...what is a SID foot? I'm not sure I have one with my Janome.
Check out this site about how the foot works. She also shows a number of things to use the foot for.
She has plenty of neat projects to make. Only been to her site once but like how she explains things.

http://www.seasonedhomemaker.com/sew...e-stitch-foot/
Old 12-29-2016, 07:46 AM

Thanks for this thread and advice! I will definitely give these a try.