Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding by hand >

Binding by hand

Binding by hand

Old 10-04-2023, 12:21 PM

Default Binding by hand

Usually I machine do binding on my charity quilts, but have a quilt I may decide to show next year. I decided to hand bind that quilt and add a hanging sleeve..
I do a tiny invisible stitch and either I'm as slow as molasses or a mean gremlin is removing stitches when I'm not looking. Honestly I started about 10 am and stopped at 3 pm only completeing two sides! My fingers are so sore. I have never used a thimble so please rule that out before mentioning it. How do other quilters hand bind that doesn't leave them with sore fingers? OUCH!!

Last edited by lindaschipper; 10-04-2023 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-04-2023, 12:26 PM

I like to hand stitch to the back. I find that a smaller needle helps. It will go thru your fabric much easier than a thicker needle
Old 10-04-2023, 12:28 PM

Right off the top, fingers that do not ply the needle regularly will be sore after hours of stitching without a thimble. I really do urge you to try some of the new ones, which are soft, comfortable and easy to wear. I cannot bear the metal thimbles and prefer a leather one myself. You can also get little dots to stick on your needle finger.

But apart from that, perhaps you are making your stitches too close together? How many stitches per inch did you do? Because binding can be around 4-6 stitches per inch.
Old 10-04-2023, 12:35 PM

I use Primitive Gatherings Binding Needles and find they are much easier to work with. I also use a thimble. I get the ones from Bohin with the rubber top and metal end on them. I find them much easier to use and wear than metal thimbles.
Old 10-04-2023, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

After a while it will be easier. Think of muscles that haven't been used that way. I don't mind hand binding.
Old 10-04-2023, 01:13 PM

I prefer the look of the hand stitched binding to all my other options -- and I too am soooo slow at it. I find it helps to do for a specific duration so typically a tv show... I also find it helps me to do in a group setting if you have a work group. Finally I repeat to myself "a kiss with every stitch" instead of using bad language

On the practical side, how tiny are your stitches? maybe you can reduce the count by a couple stitches per inch and still have a quality/secure product.
Old 10-04-2023, 02:42 PM

I love those little leather dots that stick to your finger. I could never abide a thimble either, but those dots became a game changer. I'll even do a moderate amount of turned edge applique now. Also, I have never been able to hand sew my bindings with anything other than a ladder stitch. Same for my applique.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

I like to use John James needles to hand stitch binding to the back. They are the #10 embroidery needle with a nice eye for threading, super sharp to go smoothly through layers of fabric and are firm enough that I can get a good grip to pull them through. I don’t find it necessary to use a thimble. Hand stitching binding does take a long time if done right.
Old 10-04-2023, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

The only thimble that works for me is leather. I usually hand stitch the binding back because I can't seem to get the machine stitches nice on both sides. I love Tulip needles.
Old 10-04-2023, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

I agree with Celia about using a small needle. I use a betweens needle, very thin, short, and sharp. I also use Wonder clips to hold the binding in place. That reduces strain on my hands. I don't use thimbles or dots or anything like that. I can hand bind a queen quilt in one day, though my shoulders may get tired.