Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
binding or hemming >

binding or hemming

binding or hemming

Old 09-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dgsmom
thanks for the replys. i made a quilt for a pastor friend and i wanted it to look good so i had it machine quilted with all cotton batting instead of polyester(now i will only use all cotton), so now i'm doing the binding instead of hem but i don't like the hand stitching. it will look great when i get done but wish there was another way
You don't need to hand finish the binding. You can attach it to the front with your machine and fold and pin it to the back and do a decorative stitch with your machine to finish it.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:01 PM

I always do attached binding. When I first started quilting I would bring the backing to the front and do a blind stitch on it. Now I attach the binding and hand sew it down on the back.
Make something simple like a potholder and practice attaching the binding. I make all my binding, I like the look of binding that doesn't even match the quilt, or strips are cool.
I no you can do it,
simple quilter
Old 09-21-2010, 09:31 PM

thanks for all the info and support. i finally got 1 side done only 3 more to go. i made a queen quilt and i wanted it to look professional but i couldn't afford the extra $50 to have the binding put on. my lqs lady said that she would show me how to make the binding and also to show how to put it on.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:43 PM

I like that it adds 1 more layer and last chance to pull a color forward, Have used most methods but like the look of hand finished to the back the best. Gets quicker as you go:)