Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: binding a hexagon (Mother's Flower Quilt)

I found a wonderful 8" hexagon template and procededed to make it into a 50" x60" Grandmother's Flower Garden. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Lots of wast to applique and decorate. Only one major faux pax. Hoe do I border it without just making it bigger and bigger.
    Would it be appropriate to quilt the sandwich and then use binding tape to retain the shape?

Any and all suggestions, laughs, and general comments will be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can trim the edges off the last round of hexagons, so that there is a straight edge to attach a border to.

Or you can just bind it as it is, which looks cool.

Well done, hexagons always look cool, but they're hard work! :-)

I agree with BlueChicken, either of those methods would work well. I have a quilt my Gram made with the Flower Garden, but it's the itty bitty ones, thanks for the idea..I never thought of making them that size!! Ooh, the possibilities...lol. BTW.. I showed it to my roommate and he loves it!!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Just to add a suggestion to blue chickens suggestion - you could put another round of hexs in the cream then trim that straight. OR you could appliqué the whole thing to a plain square.

K x

Ditto on trimming it like it is or add another round of hex to it first. Or you could applique it down with needle turn method to a border.
    Connie

On my Grandmother’s Flower Garden (which is a lot smaller pieces!!) I added pieces to the corners and then squared it off.
    Mary

I saw this video on youtube a few weeks ago. I hope it can help you out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwPe_...om=PL&index=26

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Kathleen, that's a brilliant technique! I've got a queen size Grandmother's Flower Garden that I'm English Paper Piecing so when I get it done (in about a gazillion years!) I think I'll use this technique! Saved to faves!

K x

http://lindafranz.com/index.

Having just finished binding my daughter's grandmothers flower garden quilt, I found this tutor to be very helpful.

Then! I watched the video! Oh, my! That is a WONDERFUL technique. Thanks to the quilter that shared it, and now I want to know ...can I mark that on my favorites list without signing up ... ?

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    http://lindafranz.com/index.

Having just finished binding my daughter's grandmothers flower garden quilt, I found this tutor to be very helpful.
    quarter inch hexagons? That's just plain masochistic! :lol:

K x

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Then! I watched the video! Oh, my! That is a WONDERFUL technique. Thanks to the quilter that shared it, and now I want to know ...can I mark that on my favorites list without signing up ... ?
    Hi Omak - I just opened the link, paused it and saved it to favourites. I just tested and it's there OK!

K x

well .... daughter chose to do her hexagons in 3 1/2" size ... but when she finished, she would have preferred a smaller size.
    I have found that sometimes in a pattern .. someone says, cut two inch squares, and I say: why not 2 and a half? Get the silly thing all put together and say: should have done it in the smaller size.
    Just went into the big house and asked daughter if she would make another grandmother's flower garden so I could do the video technique ... she wasn't all that enthusiastic about the prospect, so I guess I will have to make a baby quilt JUST to do that video thing. That is the neatest thing, and makes me feel much more curious about anything with an angled edge .... my world has been enlarged! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty817
    I found a wonderful 8" hexagon template and procededed to make it into a 50" x60" Grandmother's Flower Garden. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Lots of wast to applique and decorate. Only one major faux pax. Hoe do I border it without just making it bigger and bigger.
    Would it be appropriate to quilt the sandwich and then use binding tape to retain the shape?

Any and all suggestions, laughs, and general comments will be appreciated.
    Where did you find an 8" hexagon template if I might ask. I don't recall every having seen one that large but I would be interested in trying to find one if it is not too expensive.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Omak - for tiny hexagons take a look at the pics of an exhibition I went to in Holland recently - about half way down page one! http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/17379.page

K x

Ohh. Beautiful. You are much braver than me. Great job.

Banned
    Here's one from Marci Baker about finishing a grandmothers flower garden quilt . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwPe_84GBfY Annie

Marti Michell has a template with a 4 1/2" side ... with various markings for different sizes. If you lay the template on a ruler, it is 8 1/4" across.

[img]Omak - for tiny hexagons take a look at the pics of an exhibition I went to in Holland recently - about half way down page one! http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/17379.page

O I C !!! SOmeone has waaayyy to much time on their hands! Or ... I really am not as thrifty with my fabric scraps as I have thought. :?

Blog Entries
    I just did one and I don't think it was this small but what did was single bias binding and when I got to a corner I put my needle down and then pivoted to go the next direction making sure the binding didn't wrinkle...takes time but then easy to sew by hand good luck

k3n
    Blog Entries
    [img]Omak - for tiny hexagons take a look at the pics of an exhibition I went to in Holland recently - about half way down page one! http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/17379.page

O I C !!! SOmeone has waaayyy to much time on their hands! Or ... I really am not as thrifty with my fabric scraps as I have thought. :?
    These were done in the 19th century, and by hand!!!

K x

and, we think we have life so rough, eh?
    Considering all our helpful tools, books, and fabrics, readily available, plus machines, our foremothers were an industrious lot, were they not? :wink:

Marti Michell has a template with a 4 1/2" side ... with various markings for different sizes. If you lay the template on a ruler, it is 8 1/4" across.
    Thanks for the response. I will look into this. Dixie in Alabama

Believe it or not it was a cookie tin shaped like a hexagon.

[list] Thank you all for such wonderful information. I never knew you tube had such items. However, out in the prarie of Texas, they think Broad Band means there's a storm brewing. Dial-up was slow, but oh so worth it. Thank you to everyone. I look forward to showing the completed project.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast