Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Binding for Irish Chain Quilt

Binding for Irish Chain Quilt

What is the best way to add binding to an Irish Chain quilt. The chains are various shades of purple/lavender and the other blocks are white? I'm having a hard time deciding if I should do purple, white, or none at all. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I don't usually bind in white, but any other of the others would work....audition each color to see what pleases you the most...I just fold the fab and lay top on top letting the folded fab peek out at the end as though it were sewn on...to get an idea of which i like best.....

I never use white fabric for binding as I think it will get dirty. I would lay some fabrics next to the top and audition them. My third quilt was an Irish Chain with blues and an ivory background, bound in blue. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    I was told at a quilt class one time to never use white for binding, you should use dark so that your eye doesn't want to continue on.

Generally I use a binding of a color within the quilt that I want to draw more attention or have it 'pop' more. If you have nothing that you feel needs to pop then I would use any of the colors within the quilt.

All good advice. I also don't like to use white because of it getting dirty looking. I can't wait to see your quilt. Hope you show us a pic.

Binding the same color as the chains would look good.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have used white for binding. Since I give the quilts away I don't know how the white ends up looking. Sometimes white is all the works.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Try different ones (I never use all white). A purple/white stripe could be good. Deep purple. Dk Grey. Black.

Thanks for all the good advice about binding the Irish Chain. After several mentioned it, I can easily understand why a white binding would not be so good. I like the idea of "auditioning" different fabrics to see which one looks best.

I'm about to put the binding on an Irish Chain made from charm squares. Directions call for cutting the remaining charms in half, sewing end to end, and using them as binding. You could use your purple scraps if you have enough. They wouldn't all have to be the same length.

In reading your post, I am wondering if it is binding you can't decide on or if you are speaking of borders?

I just finished a small quilt for a newborn, I used a pale to medium coral with a polka dot for binding. I was disappointed how quickly the corners got dirty looking. Wished I had gone with a darker color.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    I don't usually bind in white, but any other of the others would work....audition each color to see what pleases you the most...I just fold the fab and lay top on top letting the folded fab peek out at the end as though it were sewn on...to get an idea of which i like best.....
    This is what I do, and I usually take a picture of each version and put them side by side on my computer screen to compare.
    True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you donít need to regularly escape from. ~Brianna Wiest