Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding Not Full >

Binding Not Full

Binding Not Full

Old 02-09-2021, 05:24 PM

Default Binding Not Full

I sewed my binding on the front of the quilt and pulled it to the back to stitch by hand. My binding is 2 1/4". I sewed with a 1/4" seam and my binding is not full and extends beyond the 1/4" on the back. Anyone know how to fix it? Thank you.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

In order to get my 2-1/4 inch binding to be even on both sides, I use a foot that is slightly wider then my 1/4 inch foot when sewing to the quilt front. You might try moving your needle over a couple of clicks when sewing to the front to see if that helps. Finish this quilt and experiment for the next one.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:12 PM

did you leave binding and backing when trimming the quilt sides? that is usually what fills the binding. maybe you are pulling a bit too tightly.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:52 PM

I cut thin strips of batting and place them along the binding to puff it up a little more. I like the look of a puffy binding Hope this helps
Old 02-09-2021, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 View Post
did you leave binding and backing when trimming the quilt sides? that is usually what fills the binding. maybe you are pulling a bit too tightly.
I did not remember to leave the backing and batting an extra quarter inch so my seam to attach the binding is 1/4" from the edge. I am hoping to find a way to fill the binding before I sew it to the back. Next time I will sew the binding on at 1/2" so the extra fabric and batting fill the binding. Thank you.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by gmcsewer View Post
I cut thin strips of batting and place them along the binding to puff it up a little more. I like the look of a puffy binding Hope this helps
Do you put the extra strips on the front or back of the quilt? Does it matter? Thank you.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:21 AM

If you do a google search and find thecraftygemini and/or SewVeryEasy they both have excellent youtube video instructions that you might like to review before going forward.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
If you do a google search and find thecraftygemini and/or SewVeryEasy they both have excellent youtube video instructions that you might like to review before going forward.
Thank you. I will watch their videos.