Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding Question >

Binding Question

Binding Question

Old 11-05-2010, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by jdeery
I don't iron the binding down because it is easier to stitch in
the tunnel of the fold when your doing your invisible stitch.
Good point! Thanks!
Old 11-05-2010, 06:48 AM

Thanks everyone
Old 11-05-2010, 08:44 AM

Congratulations on all the hard work you put into your quilt so far! I'll share what I do and let you decide for yourself. Since I do NOT make my binding on the bias, I press the binding flat on the front side first, and then press it into place on the back side to set up an even-as-possible fold; since it's not BIAS binding, there is no real stretch to worry about. [If your binding is on the bias, just be sure to PRESS: hold the iron held absolutely parallel to the fabric and pressed into place without moving the iron at all.] I'll tackle the corners first, pinning the (theoretically) Perfect 45 Degree Angled Fold with a top quality straight pin. Then I'll pick "somewhere" to start and use the binding clips (these metal pop-closed, pop-open clips are sold in the hair accessories section) to hold a "fair sized portion" (about 3 feet) of the binding in place; no more punctures into the fabric except for the needle and thread stitching it into place and nothing to poke me (or my Quality Control Supervisor Cat) while I move the quilt around as I work on it. Another consideration: if the quilt is going to my grandkids or someone who will be using the quilt actively, I use Steam-A-Seam Light 2 and then machine stitch the binding on afterwards for extra strength. Everyone else gets hand-stitched binding.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:13 AM

There is a binding tutorial on this site that helps and is great. I always had trouble when I reached the end and was ready to connect to where I started. I don't after looking at the tutorial.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:01 AM

I went to the drug store and bought those hair clips like you see in the quilt stores but they had twice as many in the box as you get in the quilt stores. They just snap shut. I like them rather than pins so I don't get scratched. Jan
Old 11-05-2010, 10:39 AM

I never iron the binding. I like the soft fold of the binding fabric and it stays more "full" looking. I just use regular pins and pin down about 24" at a time and remove the pin just before I get to it. I've never had problems with getting stuck by the pin. I secure the binding to the back with a blind stitch so the thread doesn't show. Good luck.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:37 AM

I use the hairclips too. Collins hem and binding clips

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i-CQ-136
Or you can get these at Joann's and save on shipping.
D in TX
Old 11-05-2010, 12:15 PM

I use clips and only clip about 9" or 10" inches ahead of where I am working, work my way to the end of the clips and clip ahead again. I also saw the following tutorial for sewing the binding using a ladder stitch a while back:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-40083-1.htm

I have used this method ever since. It is a lot quicker and looks better than using a whip stitch (or at least better than using MY whip stitch).

If you look at the tutorial, be sure to look through all the pages as the instructions are spread out.

Good luck!
Old 11-05-2010, 12:22 PM

I didn't have much luck with the ladder stitch. I don't know why-I think my stitches weren't parallel. But I use a blind stitch which is similar and it looks way better than my lousy whip stitch.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:23 PM

I use paper clips to clip binding on when i am taking my quilting somewhere else to work on it. But at home I dont use any thing Congrats on getting your first quilt done