Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding a quilt >

Binding a quilt

Binding a quilt

Old 08-07-2019, 12:14 PM

Default Binding a quilt

I just finished a quilt and am ready for the binding. Because of caregiving and the death of my husband, it has been several years since I have done the binding on a quilt. Because things change over time and my memory is a little fuzzy on technique, I would like to know how wide to cut the binding and how much batting beyond the quilt top should I leave when trimming so that the binding is full.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:24 PM

I am in the process of stitching down the binding on my first quilt. I cut my bindings 2 1/4" wide.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:38 PM

I trim batting, backing, and top all the same, and cut my binding 2 1/4" wide. I also don't press my binding in half lengthwise before sewing it on. It's easier to wrap the binding around the quilt edge nice and snug for a full binding, and I get to skip a step.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

I square my quilt to get a nice straight edge with my rotary cutter and rulers. I cut my binding 2-1/4 inches wide across the width of my fabric yardage. I use my 1/4 foot to follow the edge of the quilt sewing on the binding, starting in the center of a long side. I leave about a 6 inch tail when I start so I can make my binding join at the end. After the binding is sewn to the front, I flip it to the back and hand sew it to the quilt back.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:02 PM

So sorry for the loss of your husband. It's very hard to move on.
I like the binding wide, so I cut 2.5 inch width cutting on the width of fabric, connecting it at an angle instead of straight. I cut the back and batting down to about 1-2 inches, then sew the binding on and trim it as I sew the binding to the back.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

I now machine sew on bindings. I donate quilts to foster kids and think machine stitches will hold better than hand stitches. I cut my bindings 2-1/2" or 3" Fold in half, press, sew to the back, turn over and sew to the front.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:48 PM

I leave the rough edges on my quilt until it is done being quilted, typically 2-6 inches all around.

I prefer a slightly wider binding than most, I cut at 3". I put on the binding on the front and then use the seam line to cut 1/2" above the seam (so 1/4" above the fabric). Gives me a nice full binding. Hand skills are not my strong suit but I still stitch down the back by hand, it's my favorite finish.

For most of the last year I've been doing the not-ironing my binding technique. It doesn't seem to make much difference to me, and if it is a top I won't be quilting down for awhile, I like storing it folded better (I cut cardboard into 18" pieces and wrap the binding around it. Gives me an easy way to measure.

However, next quilt I finish will probably be a donation quilt with flannel back and flannel binding. I'm thinking non-ironed is the way to go with flannel.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:56 PM

Hello and I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your husband. My mom is adjusting to life without my dad and I mourn for her because of her loneliness and the abrupt change in her way of life. I hope quilting can help,you find your "new normal."

I just posted the second half of a tutorial explaining how I bind entirely by machine. Maybe it can help you.

How I machine bind

It is in two parts separated by a couple of years. I trim my quilt first, and use 2.5" binding strips. Like Peckish/Peggi I now skip the pressing of the length of the binding.

Darren
Old 08-07-2019, 06:33 PM

Thank you for your answers. You are so helpful.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:35 PM
Power Poster

I too am sorry for the loss of your husband.

I trim the batting and backing to the edge of the quilt top. I cut my binding at 2.5", and when sewing to the front of the quilt I experiment a bit to be sure the binding will be full and just cover the seam when turned to the back. (I rarely have points at the edge of the quilt, so this approach does not cut off any points if the seam is a skosh more than 1/4".)